Anyone Keep Multiple Roosters Successfully?

They have been out in a penned off area in the big chickens' run since week 3. I brought them in the last 2 nights because temps suddenly fell from 50s to 20s overnight. They are going back out today, I think.

Thank you! This gives me hope!
If those chicks have been visible to the dominant rooster since week 3, he will be fine with them when released. Believe it or not…chickens are not dumb and they recognize young birds as being young birds. It’s not until a cockerel reaches sexual maturity and starts trying to mate with the hens does the Head Honcho guy teach them who is boss. He will chase the younger cockerels down, jump on their back and hold their head down with his beak. This is a lesson in who is the lead rooster, and after that the younger cocks will run from him. Now if you introduced an adult rooster to the flock, there would definitely be a fight. It’s best to not buy aggressive roosters in the first place because they are more apt to hurt a child or attack a small dog with their beak or spurs.

I have kept multiple roosters. I have a bachelor pad in full view of the hens. They occasionally have squabbles but rarely injure themselves. I provide 'safe areas' where a rooster can hide or fly up and roost away from the aggressor. I've had two roosters in a flock of hens. With plenty of room they got along well. One rooster was dominant and the other knew his place and behaved accordingly. The roosters in the bachelor pad spent a lot of time standing next to each other watching the hens across the way. They would fight more over food than the hens watching them. However, the roosters I chose to keep have the right temperament.

I have game roosters and they do alright st times but certain things set them off and they fight to kill. The rain will cause them to fight as they look different to each other so they think new kid and he is always going to have to fight most of the time. Wind will cause them to also but just too many will certainly cause this if they are fighters. I have always had fights but at the moment the roosters I have left seem to be doing better but they still fight because it's bred in them. Most t put the rubberband tie cords? Not for sure what they are called but use them most of the time with fighters. Not really good to have too many as they fight more for hens and are rough on them at times. I had many hens that had lost most of the feathers on their backs because of them. Can cause many problems. Good luck with yours and if you find something that works let me know!

Thanks, everyone. This is helpful, even though there are many differing opinions.

I think I'm going to try to rehome my current rooster. If I can rehome him within the next month, I won't end up with 2 males together at all while this little one is still in the brooder.

My older rooster s a good rooster to my hens (except for my top hen, who won't tolerate him). But he really has it in for me. He's not aggressive towards anyone else, so I know I probably didn't raise him well. Lesson learned, I think.

I figure I'll start over with this new cockerel now that I know more.
Good luck with new Roo. Remember you are the Alpha.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
Your impending hen/rooster ratio seems completely reasonable, to me. Until your younger rooster reaches complete maturity tho, you'll have to endure a level of pandemonium he'll create within your flock, until he learns to control his hormones and act in a gentlemanly fashion. Both with your hens and your older preexisting ruler of the roost rooster. With your eventual flock size, If you're wanting consistent fertilized eggs, having a back up rooster is nessasary, imo. Type of breed for your roosters is your individual choice of pleasure, but maturity size should be roughly equivalent, and relevant to your hens size. jmo.

I am not the alpha. I am the giant who brings food. Outside the pecking order completely -- like a horse or a cow.
Exactly~as w mine, they must see me as another species. I don’t know what makes the difference, between them and their aggressive grandfather, but I like my polite and gentle boys.
~~~~~~~~~
@Aunt Angus thank you for starting this thread. I was really wondering about if I can really continue w 2 roosters, and all the replies here reassure me that it can indeed be successful and one big happy family.
184FFF09-42C8-480F-BC70-CFF00C44CDD8.jpeg

I presently have 10 cocks loose in the chicken yard, some yard hatch and some purebred several different breeds.. I have no problems at all.. I’ve had as many as 15 at one time with minimal fights, my hens are currently penned and have a few roosters in the pen with them, I put young cockerels in the freezer often and keep the best purebred roosters for sale and often barter with several local chicken keepers.. every once in a while I get a mean rooster and he is gone first time he flogs me, I do not tolerate it..

Back
Top Bottom