Anyone Keep Multiple Roosters Successfully?

I always keep multiple roosters, and never had a mean one. I don't try to make them pets, I don't play with them or snuggle them, I don't feed them by hand. And they grow up respecting my space, because they've never been invited into it. Once or twice over the years, I've had one flare up and display at me or get in my space. I chase him down (even if I can just reach down and grab him, I wave him away so I can chase him, I want it set in his mind I am a big, mean predator) and carry him around by his feet for a few minutes once I catch him.

I am currently very low on chickens, I have 14 hens and 2 roosters, a Maran and Buff Cornish. They flared at each other bit when they were young, but get along beautifully now. When they were growing up, the flock was bigger, my old rooster, King Roo was 5 years old and I had 5 other roosters and some cockerel chicks and about 60 hens. We had a fisher cat raid and then I sold a bunch. I mention it because I have kept a LOT of roosters together over the years. I've had some bloody combs and a couple of boys who spent a good bit of time hiding under the roosts while things got sorted, but nothing worse than that.
I like ya style. Reminds me of my hubby.

I like ya style. Reminds me of my hubby.
The only mean roosters we have had were the 2 we bought to start our chicken farming. One was immediately returned and the other is in a separate chicken tractor with some other roos. We have a little over 50 chickens including several cockerels and a couple of roos. I have found that the chickens we raise from chicks and hatch ourselves seem to understand the calm rhythm of our farm. It's a learning process and every farm is different. Every chicken is different. It's incredibly enjoyable, though.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
Rek'n how many roosters threr are on the planet? That is how many variables there are in rooster to rooster or rooster to you relationships.

I believe free ranging is key to have multiple roosters or atleast having enough space and yard things for them to not be in direct contact or if they are it’s not very long…… I have two that run round outside currently and do just fine. The older silky Roo he’s 1.5 just says no u have to go away from my hens and he who is roughly 6 months respects that and walks away to a totally different area in the yard….. like I said we have plenty of “things” to where they don’t exactly see eachother very often and it seems to be working

I have had 2 roosters with a fluctuating size flock of 13-18 ladies. There is an alpha that keeps the beta in place but allows the beta to do his job of showing ladies where to lay eggs and protecting them from dogs barking on the other side of the fence. He’s less tolerant of intimate interaction with the ladies but doesn’t prevent it totally. They are 2 year old hatchmates.
I used to have a single rooster who was too much for anyone. Key phrase is “used to”.
It all depends on the roosters. So many variables. That being said I wouldn’t want to go too awfully far below the generally accepted standard of 10 hens to one rooster. I believe my 12 to 2 only worked because at that time the boys were very young and the ladies were very mature and stern with them. The ladies taught them manners. My boys dance very prettily for the ladies.

I believe free ranging is key to have multiple roosters or atleast having enough space and yard things for them to not be in direct contact or if they are it’s not very long…… I have two that run round outside currently and do just fine. The older silky Roo he’s 1.5 just says no u have to go away from my hens and he who is roughly 6 months respects that and walks away to a totally different area in the yard….. like I said we have plenty of “things” to where they don’t exactly see eachother very often and it seems to be working
Must be that old school daddy son thing i heard about from my gramps and my dad. My roster's boy will chase him down all day long.
I only have 5.6 acres though, so may need more space. They are big boys. lol

The key to successfully keeping multiple roosters together is hens. Either you have enough for everyone to have their own harem (and territory) or you have NO hens with them at all. It may not work for every chickeneer, but the latter works for me. I've had up to nine roosters of varying ages (6 months to five years) successfully sharing a coop and run for years ... but they had NO hens to fight over or impress. They were SO much fun! They played like a bunch of frat boys ... rough and tumble, full of pranks and energy, but with a good natured attitude. My Bachelor Flock was, hands down and without a doubt, the most entertaining flock I've ever had ... and the eye candy was worth the extra effort! I no longer have a Bachelor Flock, but my current flock master is due to retire soon (time for some new blood.) I plan to keep him on with the three cockerels I'm keeping from this summer's hatch. I'm looking forward to another rooster run ... I LOVE my boys!

The key to successfully keeping multiple roosters together is hens. Either you have enough for everyone to have their own harem (and territory) or you have NO hens with them at all. It may not work for every chickeneer, but the latter works for me. I've had up to nine roosters of varying ages (6 months to five years) successfully sharing a coop and run for years ... but they had NO hens to fight over or impress. They were SO much fun! They played like a bunch of frat boys ... rough and tumble, full of pranks and energy, but with a good natured attitude. My Bachelor Flock was, hands down and without a doubt, the most entertaining flock I've ever had ... and the eye candy was worth the extra effort! I no longer have a Bachelor Flock, but my current flock master is due to retire soon (time for some new blood.) I plan to keep him on with the three cockerels I'm keeping from this summer's hatch. I'm looking forward to another rooster run ... I LOVE my boys!
I may do this if hubby doesn't disown me - lol!

Update on earlier post 65: ( Last year I had decided to keep my sole cockerel chick and he joined the flock of 12, which included his father. Junior learned from senior and they seemed to get along.) Last month, the elder rooster was killed by a raccoon. 😟 Junior, at slightly over 1 yr. took over seamlessly. He is a very good rooster in every way. The hens completely accept him as leader, even tho they are all older. I’m really glad I kept him.
A35717E0-DDA5-41C4-9681-817ED88E5E24.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom