Anyone know Albuquerque?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickbea, Oct 31, 2008.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Next week I have to be in Albuquerque for a conference, and I am researching what to do in my free time. Unfortunately, I have found many cool things to do there, and I need help narrowing it down!
    I really want to go to the Petroglyph National Monument, and to the Maxwell Museum of Anthropology. Here are the other things I found that sounded fun:
    1. Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
    2. Albuquerque Aquarium (I know I won't have time for the Botanic Garden [​IMG]
    3. Turquoise Museum
    4. Church of San Felipe de Neri
    5. Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
    6. New Mexico Museum of Natural History
    Does anyone have an opinion on what I should see, or did I not list something that I really should see?
    Also, what sort of clothes should I bring? Do I have to unpack my summer clothes? [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You will love Albuquerque and we have members there too! It won't be a cold as where you are, but it's cooling off. I'd take layers because during the day you'll end up in short sleeves and then a jacket when the sun goes down. I hope a local from there answers you, but I've seen pretty everything you listed and if you have the time I'd hit them all.
    What date will you be up there? What conference? I'll be heading that way towards the end of the week.
    Kate

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    bring plent of chapstick/lipbalm. It is dry dry dry.

4. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm going to the annual Arc Conference, which is the 6th - 9th.
    I wish they would have conferences in cities where there is nothing exciting to do, because I always end up wanting to be a tourist and not going to the conference! [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What is Arc?

6. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Well, it used to stand for The Association for Retarded Citizens, but that is no longer a politically correct term to use for folks with developmental disabilities, so I guess they are just saying the Arc now (but not ARC, for some reason...).
    Anyway, they are a great organization and advocate strongly for the rights of all citizens - you can check out what they are all about at www.thearc.org.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,, if it had said ARC I would have known! I worked with them for 7 years thought another company in Las Cruces, Tresco, Inc. I worked with DD adults. Thanks!

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I will be in that area too on Nov 9th/10th. We will be in Farmington checking out a pilot school for my boyfriend. If he goes there I may be moving there next year. Thanks for the info, we'll be in Albuquerque on the 10th, maybe I can check out something... I'd love to go to the Turquoise Museum.

Anyone in that area want a Mille Fleur Roo? I could bring him hehheee

9. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Just beware that the description that I read of it said not to be fooled by its tacky appearance as a tiny-looking entrance in a strip mall! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by