Anyone know any tips and tricks for 4-h?

BirdGirl2004

Crowing
Nov 19, 2016
Huntington, Indiana
Hello! I am preparing for the 2017 year of 4-h and I want to know any thing that makes the birds look better? Also could anyone send me pictures of grand champion RIR? I want to get a visual of what a good RIR winner looks like. Thanks!

I used to do a lot of preparing for our 4h poultry shows. I would give my birds baths in a special soap for white animals (it turned the water blue...I think it was called blueing) and then I would dry them with a hair dryer. I would scrub their legs with a toothbrush to get all the dirt out of the scales. Then I painted their nails with clear nail polish (let them dry before placing on shaving!) The day of the show, I would use baby oil on their legs and combs, but only a very small amount. I would also use a hair product called pink sheen on their feathers (you can purchase this at most Walmart type stores in the hair care section).

As far as showmanship, I would practice handling your birds and put them in and out of a cage the proper way (headfirst). I would also study up on chicken anatomy and know a bit about the breed of bird you are going to use.

Last edited:
We've done 4h for awhile. Chicks last two years. We have isa browns from Townline this year. We always buy from our local feed store.
Feed the starter feed all the way up until they lay. Last year we switched to layer feed I think to soon. Birds looked sort of immature at the
Fair. Lesson learned.
The week before the fair we wash birds in 5 gallon bucket a few times. Dawn works well. We put a cage out on lawn on a nice sunny day
And let them air dry. Chickens were/are presentable this way.

If you want to post a picture of your RIR's I could pull out my standard and try to look for faults or DQ's :) As far as tips and tricks besides good health and no bugs/dieases/major problems, just make sure their feet, face, toes, etc is all clean and not dirty (usually the day before and of the show they should be washed, sometimes just with a baby wipe, others with a full out wash) And people usually put natual oil or something similar on their combs, legs, faces to make them shine for the judges, just make sure to not goop it anywhere and keep the nostrils clear! :)

I haven't seen a grand champion RIR is a LONG TIME, the last time I saw a large red bird on champion row was a New Hampshire rooster (absolutely HUGE) but I haven't seen a RIR make it to champion row in my last 3 years, but that may be just in my area :)

Another big thing though, if you got your birds from a feedstore, thats a no-no. Most feedstore birds are bred for production and visually pleasing but the poultry shows and standard of perfection (pretty much the chicken bible XD) has different standards for any certain breed. (Like leg colour, eye colour, leg colour, comb size and shape etc is not a worry to the feedstore breeders because their birds are gonna be sold for $2 to people wanting egg laying pets. Though feedstore birds are still great birds :)

Most Feedstores are stocked from Hatcheries so they're pretty much the same ^^ But I've won many things with my very own hatchery/feedstore quality birds but I've also won much more with my standard birds I've gotten/been gifted/bought from local breeders :)

Now, I dont know anything about Townline Hatchery and they very well could breed to certain standards but chances of that are slim, though you'll have a fun show at least if not a successful one <3

Thank you so much for talking me through it. This will be very helpful. I will try out the feed store chickens this year. Then if they don't do well i will switch to breeders. Thank you SO much!!

4-H shows are less about the quality of the bird and more about the handler. I've seen a bird entered as a Barred Rock win first place, except that the bird was a Silver Laced Wyandotte and not a Barred Rock at all. If you are serious about showing, and want to compete at APA sanctioned events, do not purchase hatchery stock. Source your birds from experienced, reputable breeders. Truly outstanding Rhode Island Reds are few and far between. There are not a lot of breeders out there working at keeping to the standard.

4-H shows are less about the quality of the bird and more about the handler. I've seen a bird entered as a Barred Rock win first place, except that the bird was a Silver Laced Wyandotte and not a Barred Rock at all. If you are serious about showing, and want to compete at APA sanctioned events, do not purchase hatchery stock. Source your birds from experienced, reputable breeders. Truly outstanding Rhode Island Reds are few and far between. There are not a lot of breeders out there working at keeping to the standard.
Someone entered a wyandotte as a plymouth and WON at a 4H show? Wow, that would never even make it on the champions row at any 4H show I've been to xD

Back
Top Bottom