Anyone know how deep?

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
You have to bury electric wire?

I am working on running a new higher amp power to my barn. I'm not sure how far down I have to dig.

I am also going to run a water line while I have the trench dug. I know in my northern climate the frost line is 3 to 4 feet. I know there is no way I can dig that deep so my water line will be seasonal. I will have to blow all the water out for the winter. So depth for the water line is not a big deal.

I am not sure what the codes in your area are but my husband says around here the electric wires must be buried at least 2 feet. Check for codes in your area.

typically 18" is fine.

Don't forget to have the utility company come out and mark any service lines so you dont accidently cut in to them with the trencher.

Hehehe trencher now that would be nice, but the wife shot that one down. She handed me the shovel and said there's your trencher get to work.

Already called miss dig, the only underground utilities I have on the property is gas from the road to the house.

I do have my septic tank to dig by, but I know where that is.

thats not a problem. just be sure to put the electrical in a conduit (the gray plastic stuff is fine).

you can rent a trencher in my parts for 35$ for a day.. seems reasonable.. just tell the wife you'll dig half if she digs the other half and you'll be able to rent that trencher in no time.

Last edited:
i know this if you lay your power an waterline close you are asking for some major trouble.because your waterline can an will get a leak sooner or later.an if they are close youll get shocked to death if you have to digg up the waterline.an the electric line gets wett your a gonner.

Not if you're using the right type of wire. I work for a well drilling company and the wire and pipe goes in the same trench. Outdoor wire is meant to be wet.

Back
Top Bottom