Anyone know how deep?

Quote:
Hence putting the wire inside conduit as I mentioned. This is common practice.
Ever notice how all the new subdivisions don't have power poles? Just those green or grey boxes on concrete pads? There ya go.

Quote:
I think you're talking about UF wire(?) which is correct it can be exposed to the elements and direct bury. I don't know how big of a service this guy is planning on running, but I think UF only goes up to 12-2 in the home stores. I could be wrong. Anyway, if he doesn't need that big of a service line (just running a few plugs and lights) the 12-2 would do fine.

I'm old school though, I'd still run a conduit just incase there's a wayward shovel or a really hungry gopher.

big_smile.png

Can the trenchers you can rent dig down 3 feet too? I want to run a water line from 1 shed to another.

That's an it depends on question.

It depends on code (if you have any where you live) And also should depend if you are burying bare cable or if you are just running it through a buried conduit and also the amperage of the cable. Also all wire cannot be buried without conduit.

In general, it needs to be on a GFI, on a 20a breaker and either in a conduit or uf cable to be 12 in deep. If it is not on a gfi , and it is over 20 a then it must be 18 in. Regardless the wire must be in conduit or be of UF cable to make it water tight. But you should check your local codes as well.

Well I started the trencher my wife is allowing me to use. Let me tell you its hard to pull start a shovel.
lau.gif

I am down around 20" and about 10 feet long. I only have 40 more feet to dig.

I am running a 50 amp service to the barn, I figure I need #8 wire. I am planning on running it in conduit, because of the gravel/sand mix I am in. That and I don't think I can get UF rated 4 wire #8

I did some code checking today.

Electric has to be buried 18"

Waterlines are 42" to be below the frost line. I will never make 42"

You can bury water and electric in the same trench you need a min of 6" sand/dirt between them.

I will be meeting code for the electric but not the water. But I already knew the water line would be seasonal.

I did check the local rental places, the biggest trencher I can get can go down 30" and 7" wide, and it rents for $70 for 4 hours and $25 cleaning deposit, $5 gas charge. It would be nice to get down that far in one shot but that's pretty pricey. I dug off and on today for about 3 hours and got around 10feet at 20" deep. Its not that bad digging, I do need to get a pick axe though, I am getting into some sand/gravel mix which is a pain. I will add some pictures. The chooks were helping today. they made sure all them mean old earthworms I was digging up would never harm anyone again.

Back
Top Bottom