Anyone know how to judge amoxicillin dose for a five pound Brahma hen?

I have a sick chicken most probably crd repeated again after 4 years, I gave her twice 1ml sulfa3 everyday which didnt help much at this point,she was getting worst, so I am using quarter tablet amoxycillin on her last two days, tablets each contain 875/125mg amoxycillin, would you please tell me quarter tablet for her enough dosage or more than needed? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a sick chicken most probably crd repeated again after 4 years, I gave her twice 1ml sulfa3 everyday which didnt help much at this point,she was getting worst, so I am using quarter tablet amoxycillin on her last two days, tablets each contain 875/125mg amoxycillin, would you please tell me quarter tablet for her enough dosage or more than needed? Thanks

That's not just Amoxicliin, it also has Clavulanate Acid, it's called Augmentin in people and Clavamox in animals, but the Clavamox I have is 250mg amoxicillin/50mg clavulanate .

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says the amoxicillin dose is 125mg/kg (125mg per 2.2 pounds) every 12 hours or 100mg/kg (100mg per 2.2 pounds) every 8 hours.

Plumb's says the Clavamox (Augmentin) dose is 50-100mg/kg every 6-8 hours.

You're giving her 1/4 tablet (218.75mg), which should be fine if you do it every 8 hours. If you want to do it less, give 1/3 tablet every 12 hours. This drug needs to be given no less than twice a day!

-Kathy

Disclaimer: Haven't had my morning caffeine, so double check my math, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice casportpony, I followed your way and she is alot better today, recovered well, running eating and drinking again, thanks.

thumbsup.gif
Glad to hear she's better, thanks for the update!

-Kathy
Hi Casportpony,

Just wondering, should the dose be continued beyond the chicken looking well? I know that infections can come back (and be harder to treat next time around as resistance issues can occur) if the infection isn't completely cleared. I know that when I've had antibiotics, or when my other animals have, the complete prescription must be taken, even if there's a weeks worth left after symptoms subside - just to make sure the original infection is knocked on the head.

If medication is to be continued, how long would you suggest it continues for?

:thumbsup  Glad to hear she's better, thanks for the update!

-Kathy

Hi Casportpony,

Just wondering, should the dose be continued beyond the chicken looking well? I know that infections can come back (and be harder to treat next time around as resistance issues can occur) if the infection isn't completely cleared. I know that when I've had antibiotics, or when my other animals have, the complete prescription must be taken, even if there's a weeks worth left after symptoms subside - just to make sure the original infection is knocked on the head.

If medication is to be continued, how long would you suggest it continues for?

What one vet told was that antibiotics should be continued for *no* less than 2 days past when *all* symptoms have disappeared.

-Kathy

But beware, prolonged use of them can cause yeast infections, and if the yeast is intestinal, it can look like a bacterial infection. FYI, not all yeast infections look like what people here call "vent gleet". Case and point... Had a peahen on Clavamox for a probable bacterial infection. Her poop changed for the better, but didn't return to normal, so I took her to the vet and the gram stain revealed zero bacteria, as in none, lol, but sure enough, there was yeast, so she put her on an antifungal.

-Kathy

But beware, prolonged use of them can cause yeast infections, and if the yeast is intestinal, it can look like a bacterial infection. FYI, not all yeast infections look like what people here call "vent gleet". Case and point... Had a peahen on Clavamox for a probable bacterial infection. Her poop changed for the better, but didn't return to normal, so I took her to the vet and the gram stain revealed zero bacteria, as in none, lol, but sure enough, there was yeast, so she put her on an antifungal.

-Kathy
Thanks so much for the advice.

Much appreciated. I'm currently throwing everything (vitamins, worming, mite treatment - despite no signs of either worms or mites) as one of my pre-laying pullets is walking like it's drunk and is having trouble balancing. I've googled and googled and for every post I find where people have asked what it is, there are 10 replies saying "I've never heard of this happening" :/ I've had suggestions of everything from protein or calcium or vitamin b or e deficiencies to worms or mites and even some poultry diseases. I've managed to rule out being egg bound as she's only 16 weeks old.

She appears happy enough, is still eating and drinking and moves around the yard just as much, only with an unsteady gate. The ONLY symptom is the wobbly movement. I gave her half of a "Amoxyclav" 250 (200/50mg) last night and half this morning and it appears to be improving already. Although, having said that, on previous days it has gotten progressively worse over the course of the day. Not sure if she's just well rested in the morning so she can control it better and as she tires, it gets worse? Anyway, I'll continue the Amoxyclav for 2 days after she's 'sobered up'.

I've had a few with the wobbly gait, and it usually progresses to Marek's paralysis. I'm not saying that's what she has, just something to consider. FYI, not all Marek's presents with one leg forward, one back, there are many ways the neural form can present itself. That said, no harm in treating for everything else it might be, that's what I would do.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom