Anyone know if Chickens,Turkeys, geese, and ducks can live together?

All of my animals free range all day. The chickens go into their coop at night. They have been trained to go in. All I do is go out and close the door on the coop. The ducks, geese, turkeys and sheep have their pick of where they want to sleep. The sheep like sleeping on the ground at night when the weather is nice. If it is raining, the sheep will go in their sleeping quarters (a shed). The geese and ducks like to sleep anywhere on the ground. When it rains, the geese and ducks like to sleep in the rain. The turkeys will roost wherever they choose. They may roost on the fence or fly in the tree to roost at night. It all depends on them. When I say feeding time, I mean that my laying hens who prefer to eat the "layer crumble" will follow me into an area that I enclose after they have entered in after me. They know when it's feeding time, so when they see me coming, they begin running to the area that I feed them. I DO NOT let my sheep into this area because the layer crumble that I feed the laying hens has enough cooper in it to kill my barbado sheep. They are prohibited in going into this area. After the laying hens have eaten their layer crumble, I pick up the remaining and open the gate. I feed my geese, turkeys and ducks (and chickens who choose not to eat layer crumble that day) chopped corn. It may sound time consuming but it's really not. It's just part of their routine and my routine. It's very easy. If you have any specific questions, please please please PM me and we can chat more. I hope that helps a little.

i have 18 hens and 1 roo in a large chicken yard. we had our 3 turkeys in with them for a couple of weeks. then the hen turkeys started roosting in with the chickens and would knock them off the roosts and be mean to them. all 3 turkeys would run the chicks away from the food and wouldn't let them eat their food or treats. so today, they got moved to another large yard. hopefully, it will be better now.

Once I raised some ducks and two geese together from day-olds, and the ducks seemed to think the geese were their parents. Later on one of the ganders fell in love with a duck, since he was so low-ranking in the flock he couldn't get a goose to go out with him.
lol.png

Also, one year I had a mix of chicks, ducklings and goslings in a brooder area in my barn. One of my cats was climbing the wall to the ceiling and crawling through to eat some poultry. Finally I got a broody goose and put her in with them. Next morning the offending cat was trapped on a post, didn't dare to get down because she was afraid of the goose.

The goose adopted all the ducklings and goslings as her own but was rather indifferent to the chicks.

Gosh. I sure hope so since I have all of the birds. I find the waterfowl do better in separate coop since they like to play in the water. All our seem to get along fine. They do tend to hang with their species.

I do have a dispute once in awhile. It is mostly the hen turkeys with the roosters. Generally, a chase around the lot and a couple of lost feathers.

I was curious about this myself. I have one bourbon ba y turkey, well he's about 2 months old now living with all my Chickens but I just heard They Should not live with chickens because of some fatal disease they can catch from Chickens. Now trying to read up on this...don't want to lose my turkey.

Quote:
All of ours did, and we even had two goats, & 2 rabbits too. Eventually tho the goats were eating the scratch & it got old quick trying to get them out, so we put them in their own coop. But our rabbits did good!

big_smile.png
I have 9 chickens, 1 turkey and 1 runner duck. They all get along just fine. The Turkey and the Duck both lost there hens to racoon. They hang together now. I don't feed them any different then the chickens. They get free range in the evenings after work and they all roost together. The duck has a spot on the floor.

For those of you who said that you keep geese with other poultry.....What are you feeding them, if anything? I have geese and am getting turkey poults in the next few days. I intend to free range them together during the day but pen them separately at night with different feed available then. Geese cannot have medicated feed (it will kill them) and most poultry feed is medicated unless you specifically look for one that isn't. Also geese turkeys have a higher protein requirement than chickens. Just curious what everyone is feeding their flocks that house them together.

Back
Top Bottom