Anyone know what breed this is?

amyella

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
Got 3 of these from Big R, at 1st I Thought they were amaurcaunas when they were only a day or 2 old but
as they are getting older I'm starting to see that is not what they are.

Last edited:
Going to have to wait a while I'm afraid. Several breeds start out like this because this pattern/color is common in several breeds.

Well I've had Amaurcanas in the past and I have an amaurcauna I got a few days after I got those and they do not look the same to me. The amaurcaunas are fluffy, those ones were never very fluffy. Here is a picture of my Amaurcana on the left and 2 of the mystery chicks on the right.

Last edited:
There are a couple of reasons for that. First, the one of the right is younger and has no wing feathers so that would make it look fluffier. Second, none of them would be Ameraucana; they might be Easter Eggers. EEs are a bit of a mixed bag in that they don't have to look the same (since they aren't an actual breed). Some have muffs and beards (the fuzzy faces) and some are clean faced. As chicks those with muffs will have fuzzy cheeks which makes them look fluffier then those who don't. But as Grey Farms stated, there are many different breeds that have the chipmunk pattern as chicks.

yellow legs and feet.

compared to my Amaurcana

also they have a single comb. ameraucanas usually have a rose comb and EEs have a pea comb.

Last edited:
I don't think they are Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers myself. I think they are more likely Leghorns, with their pattern, yellow legs, and single combs.

yellow legs and feet.

compared to my Amaurcana

also they have a single comb. ameraucanas usually have a rose comb and EEs have a pea comb.
Ameraucanas are pea combed, only. Easter Eggers can have any comb type. But as you stated they usually are pea combed due to pea comb is dominate trait passed on from the Ameraucana parent.

jumpy.gif
I have the same ones. Like posted by previous posters; there are different breeds that look the same.
These look a like a lot like my little Brassy Back Old English Game Bantams, that might be what they are...
Where'd you get them? A Farm and Home store? If so, when you bought them, were they marked as Bantams?

Back
Top Bottom