Anyone know what breed this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amyella, Mar 14, 2017.

1. amyella

amyella Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Got 3 of these from Big R, at 1st I Thought they were amaurcaunas when they were only a day or 2 old but[​IMG] as they are getting older I'm starting to see that is not what they are.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. The Chicken-Boy

The Chicken-Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had Americana's before but they look like the photos I've seen of them. It's probably to early to tell for sure.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Going to have to wait a while I'm afraid. Several breeds start out like this because this pattern/color is common in several breeds.

1 person likes this.
  4. amyella

amyella Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Well I've had Amaurcanas in the past and I have an amaurcauna I got a few days after I got those and they do not look the same to me. The amaurcaunas are fluffy, those ones were never very fluffy. Here is a picture of my Amaurcana on the left and 2 of the mystery chicks on the right.[​IMG]

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    There are a couple of reasons for that. First, the one of the right is younger and has no wing feathers so that would make it look fluffier. Second, none of them would be Ameraucana; they might be Easter Eggers. EEs are a bit of a mixed bag in that they don't have to look the same (since they aren't an actual breed). Some have muffs and beards (the fuzzy faces) and some are clean faced. As chicks those with muffs will have fuzzy cheeks which makes them look fluffier then those who don't. But as Grey Farms stated, there are many different breeds that have the chipmunk pattern as chicks.

1 person likes this.
  6. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    Ameraucanas have blue/gray legs and feet..Check that out.

7. amyella

amyella Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    [​IMG]
    yellow legs and feet.
    [​IMG]
    compared to my Amaurcana
    [​IMG]
    also they have a single comb. ameraucanas usually have a rose comb and EEs have a pea comb.

8. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I don't think they are Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers myself. I think they are more likely Leghorns, with their pattern, yellow legs, and single combs.

9. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Ameraucanas are pea combed, only. Easter Eggers can have any comb type. But as you stated they usually are pea combed due to pea comb is dominate trait passed on from the Ameraucana parent.

10. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]I have the same ones. Like posted by previous posters; there are different breeds that look the same.
    These look a like a lot like my little Brassy Back Old English Game Bantams, that might be what they are...
    Where'd you get them? A Farm and Home store? If so, when you bought them, were they marked as Bantams?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by