Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Thanks in advance IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG

Speckled Sussex, splash Rock or Wyandotte (can't see comb type), silver pullet -- maybe game?, blue Wyandotte cockerel.

when I purchased the brown one was guessed at being Welsummer, the lavender was thought to be just something lavender so the guess was wyandotte, the other light tan one was also thought to be Welsummer, they both looked alike for a bit ,and the black one was supposed to be maybe a blue laced wyandotte. Does that make since?

The first one looks like a Speckled Sussex, the second one a Splash Rock, I'm not sure on the third one, the fourth one looks like a Blue Orpington, I can't see its legs though.

when I purchased the brown one was guessed at being Welsummer, the lavender was thought to be just something lavender so the guess was wyandotte, the other light tan one was also thought to be Welsummer, they both looked alike for a bit ,and the black one was supposed to be maybe a blue laced wyandotte. Does that make since?

Chicks are easily mistaken for other types as they tend to look a lot alike.

The fourth definitely has a rose comb so if you got 2 and 4 from the same place, I'd presume both to be Wyandotte.

Your "lavender" is a splash and your "blue laced" is just blue. These are things you can only guess at with chick down but become clear later.

Thank you all, Yes they are very young still, I have a batch that are about a month older and there is supposed to be a least 5 cuckoo marans but they look like wyandotte.
I have had chickens for a long time but I never ventured out in breeds now I can't stop I want them all. Thankfully I can where I live, I wouldn't know what to do. I have a few I am still wanting to get but I am waiting very patiently for my new coop to be built.
I really love it hear I wish I had more time to read everything here, but I have a full time job and a few dozen baby chickens plus mine 10 old timers.
Thank you again,
When they are bigger I will ask again any pointers on the pics I should post so that it better shows.
Michelle

Speckled Sussex, splash Rock or Wyandotte (can't see comb type), silver pullet -- maybe game?, blue Wyandotte cockerel.

X2

Welsummer and speckled sussex are similar as chicks, and frequently confused, leg color is the tell to use until they feather in. The "chipmunk pattetn" is seen in a lot of breeds, which is likely how your silver bird was also initially mis-id'd as folks forget to consider the other characteristics and lump certain down patterns together.

Back
Top Bottom