Anyone know what these are?

Mite eggs. I tried this product last time I had to treat some birds. It worked awesome with my chickens. Killed all mites and eggs with one treatment. I sprayed a small shot under each wing and above and below the vent. No side effects, didin't even interrupt laying.

If it's mites, some only come out and feed on the birds at night so you may not see them during the day. I would check the birds after they roost. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free. Try over the counter lice shampoo for people. If you want to bathe your birds, every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment for head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). They are effective treatment. Both only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. You can also spray the birds with permethrin. If you do dust, wear a dust mask. I put the dust in the nest boxes. If it's cold out it may not be wise to spray the birds. Get under the wings and around the vent area good. It usually takes more than one treatment about a week apart because it does not kill the mite eggs. I sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. Last year I had a severe infestation and thought the birds were molting but when they didn't seem to be getting their feathers back I investigated further and found they were covered with mites. ASAP I sprayed the inside of their coop thoroughly. I sprayed the birds and some gave baths to. It helped but I used flea shampoo so it didn't get rid of them all but helped. If I ever need to bathe them again I will use the OTC shampoos. I use a gallon sprayer I have several coops. Since recently I had a a couple of birds in a coop that had a few on them I'm again on my weekly spraying regimen and I will be sorting birds out to put in the breeding coops and pens and if there are any pests I don't want to introduce them from one coop to another. Good luck...
@cmom so it’s safe to use human head lice treatment on chickens ? Did you use shampoo or the one where you cover your head let sit for awhile then wash out ? We’re having mite problems as well and feeling defeated.

It’s a chicken’s down feather off of my Jersey Giant roo. Every down feather he’s got looks like that.:barnie
Are they hard or soft?
I know lice eggs are much more clustered than that)google for images) and they are hard and 'crunchy'...at least the more than a few that I've seen here.
Not sure about mite eggs.

Are you seeing any live insects on birds skin?

@Tesumph , thanks for the link! Figure 14-128 is almost exactly what I’m looking at, but that’s only the nits. I still have yet to see even one insect. I guess the treatment is the same regardless of species...I hope so anyway. I hope they aren’t communicable to humans, I have enough problems without getting lice myself.

@Tesumph , thanks for the link! Figure 14-128 is almost exactly what I’m looking at, but that’s only the nits. I still have yet to see even one insect. I guess the treatment is the same regardless of species...I hope so anyway. I hope they aren’t communicable to humans, I have enough problems without getting lice myself.
No worries. Lice are mostly species specific, and chewing lice would much prefer a feather over you.
Good luck on getting rid of the little buggers!

Gardstar Poultry Dust in the sandbox today, and on the backs of several birds (couldn’t catch them all...yet). At least Mary (blue JG) got a heavy dusting, she needs it the most. Afraid to do Hero yet as he is still inside with his respiratory infection, I’ll have to bathe him instead. That dust doesn’t go very far, seems a rip-off honestly. Praying it works!:fl

Finally found an adult louse last night...on my lap. :sick Hero was sitting there a few minutes prior and I had just put him to “bed” in the bathtub. It was unlike any louse we’ve had before, medium-dark brown and bigger than the straw lice. No idea what kind it is. Human lice are black, right? I hope?

Back
Top Bottom