Anyone know what used quart canning jars are worth?

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Want to do some canning for the first time this year. Found a fella who has 50-75 jars but doesnt know what they are worth and neither do i. What would be a fair offer per jar? They are kerr and ball jars. Thanks

Ball Canning Jars are around 10-12$ case of 12 new quart jars.

Most used jars go for around 4-5$ case of 12.

however "old vintage" canning jars can go for much more
cool.png

BA

I guess it depends on where you live. Here, they sell them at the local thrift shop between .05 and .25 - depending on the season. Make sure they are actually canning jars and you're not paying for plain glass jars - like ol' mustard jars.

Lastly, some people prefer widemouth jars because they are easier to pack but the lids are less expensive with the regular mouth and that can add up since you don't re-use them.

Only buy them if you get a great deal, in case they may have some chips or hard to remove smells. Dirt cheap, ten bucks tops and that would be with lids. All the department stores carry boxes of brand new ones, walmart, target, roses....might be better off letting him donate to goodwill and you buying new.
smile.png

Last edited:
Real estate auctions have them all the time and can't sell them. I bought several boxes of them for $1. You can also find them at yard sales and thrift stores for $0.25 each or less. The important thing is to check them well. If the opening has even the smallest chip, it won't seal. A jar that won't seal is useless. I'd offer him $0.50 a jar on the high end if they're nice. I woulodn't think you'd need them right now, so you'll have time to look elsewhere if he says no. Just be sure to check them. If you've canned before then you may already know this.

Please let me know if I can help you with more. I'm only 39 years old but I've canned swith my mother since I was a little girl.

Best of luck!
Kelly

p.s. I'll IM ya.

Back
Top Bottom