Anyone know whats wrong with my quail? HELP ASAP!!

Valeriemichelle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
I have a 6 month old coturnix quail, she is in a cage with one male.

She's been acting weird the past couple of days, just sitting in the corner, sleeping all day, like she's sick. She doesn't even really move around to much.

She is eating and drinking, I gave her some boiled egg today. but I'm getting really worried.

She laid a brown egg the other day (if that makes any difference) but she seemed like she was sick that day and she still is acting weird.

Anyone know what it could be or anything I could do to help

ALSO*** I left their cage outside in 65 (maybe a little warmer) weather. (she's inside right now) Could that have done it? does the cold really affect them?

HELP PLEASE, I'm afraid i'm going to wake up one morning and find her dead.
hit.gif

The cold doesn't affect them much at all, mine are outside all winter in temps to the teens at least. Has she laid any eggs since? How often was she laying before? Does she have any labored breathing? Did you check her vent?

She usually laid eggs everyday, but it took her like two days or so to lay that brown one and she hasn't laid any since.

Doesn't seem to have labored breathing. & I haven't checked her vent.

She has also seems like she has a hard time getting up on stuff.
Like, I have a little bed in her cage and it seems like she has trouble getting in and out of it.

She's also acting like somethings wrong with her wings,
Usually when I stretch them out she doesn't like it and she pulls them back in. She doesn't do that now.
I don't know if there is really something wrong with them or she's just weak and doesn't want to use them.
Maybe thats why she's having a hard time getting in her bed?

She seems to be walking fine though.

I'm just worried.
sad.png

Check her vent, she might be egg-bound. If it is very swollen and hard below her vent, that's probably your problem.
I've never 'fixed' one that had egg-binding, but I'm sure there are some posts on here telling about it. I had a goose last spring that was egg bound for a few days, she laid around a lot and acted like she couldn't walk very good. She also seemed weak in her wings. This was all caused from being egg bound, the egg she laid shortly after was a double yolker and maybe her 8th egg ever laid. It was a doozey!

I checked and its not swollen or hard.

What ever it is, hopefully she will get better.
hit.gif

Do you know anything else it could possibly be?

I had a coturnix hen that was doing that and she had an egg stuck
hmm.png
Feel below her vent really gently and see if you can feel an egg in there.

I agree, it does certainly sound like she is egg bound. Check really good below her vent towards her belly and make sure it is not hard.

Other than that, I just don't know. Try to keep her comfortable (maybe give her a heat light?) until someone else can come along and try to figure it out.

I checked again, and it does kinda feel hard like on her belly, kinda under her bone. Is that where it would be? I just feel like a little bit of it, like the tip of an egg I think, but I could be wrong.

So if this is the case, what do I do?

Quote:
go to the top of the page ,right hand , and google Egg bound. it will bring up all the past posts about what to do.
i have never had to deal with this problem(and pray to God that i never will!) but i have heard that a warm water soaking helpss, also oil occasionally helps. Sometimes ,however, nothing helps.
i'll be praying for your little girl though!

What I did with my hen was put her up to her belly is some warm water. Not to hot though and soak her for 15 minutes make sure the water doesn't get cold. Then I would take her out and put her under a heat lamp or on a heat pad and let her dry off.

Back
Top Bottom