Anyone know where I can get 4 ft wide hardware cloth in small lengths?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keeko, May 18, 2010.

1. keeko

keeko Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Hi all!
    So we're just feet away from finishing our run, but we're short a few feet of hardware cloth. I originally bought the 4 foot wide galvanized steel hardware cloth in the 100 ft length from My Pet Chicken, but I'm only about 20 feet short. I need 4 ft wide hardware cloth, that's the tough part. Lowe's and TSC only have 3 ft wide. Does anyone know where - online or in person - I can find short lengths of 4 ft wide hardware cloth?

Thanks!

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Songster

May 21, 2008
    Both our Lowes and Home depot carry 4 foot in 25 foot length I would ask them to special order it for you possibly.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto.

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  5. JanetSmithery

JanetSmithery In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    A lot of smaller hardware stores sell hardware cloth by the linear foot. At my local True Value, 4 ft wide hardware cloth runs $1.99 a linear foot. (36" is $1.69 and 24" is $1.39.) I think Ace is about the same.

6. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    There should be at least 1 Southern States over there around Asheville, I believe.
    I'd contact them and see what sizes they have. They were the only ones to have 3 ft tall x a 100 ft. roll of all the places I called, and they got it in from the warehouse in a day or so. Since that effort, I'll ask them first. They seem to have a greater variety.

7. keeko

keeko Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks guys! I'll check into it! I was shocked that Lowe's didn't carry it...and told me they weren't able to order it either. The girl I spoke with was having a hard time with the numbers...as in 48 inches equals 4 feet. I think she just said they didn't order it because she gave up converting feet to inches. :::SIGH:::

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A lot of places (not big box stores -- local feedstores, farm stores, locally owned hardware stores) will sell it by the foot and cut it for you. Ask around?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Yup, I would try the Southern States, they may be able to order it for you. There is one off Riverside Drive. If they can't, I bet Leicester Suppy would, its off Leicester Hwy, super helpful folks.

ETA: Howdy neighbor!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. keeko

keeko Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks guys! I'll try Southern States and Leicester Supply (thanks NeeleysAVLChicks!! and Howdy back atcha!)...I tried a couple local hardware stores West of Asheville in Candler and I was in the same bind...only 3 feet wide. Weird huh?

Thanks so much - you guys are the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by