anyone love to decorate cakes

montcapu

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
laingsburg, MI
cake decorating is a 2nd passion for myself, I love to make unique cakes for my kids and family members when I am asked. here our my designs of the past 2 or 3 years, from begginning to my most recent. Most of my family and friends are always wondering what kind of cake I did this time...lol
9313_cakes2.jpg

2 year old birthday party - not really my idea got idea from magazine, but this is the cake that made me want to do bigger and better cakes year after year
9313_kids_143.jpg

3 year birthday party
9313_dsc00162.jpg

5 year old birthday party
9313_cupcakes_008.jpg

Cupcakes my 7 year old took to school, not the best picture but they are “spaghetti and meatballs”
9313_gia_birthday_party_2009_007.jpg

7 year birthday party (big Hannah Montana fan and got guitar for xmas - gave me inspiration for cake
9313_gia_birthday_party_2009_029.jpg

Close up of the actual cake
9313_cake_007.jpg

Battle ship game that was done for my sons boy scout cake auction
9313_cake.jpg

Another cake I did for the cake auction for one of my friends who was not going to go b/c she forgot, we did that cake in about 2 hours

Talented you are!!! I made an igloo cake for my son's boy scout auction, that was the most talent I have! It was fun to do but I'll continue to be a customer and not the decorator!!
big_smile.png

well it was definetly fun decorating all the cakes.... As for cub scouts ones, the cakes were the talk of the night and brought in the most money one of them went for over $70, so it was definetly a good night and some of the leaders were wondering what I would do next year already...lol

I do,
smile.png

You did a great job!

I havent decided yet, what I am going to do for my 4 year olds birthday this summer.

And I have to make 2 cakes for my kids last day of school parties.. I dont know what to do there either.. I am thinking about a bulldog head. Since we are the bulldogs.

Next week I have to do another ball field. Its the end of ball season.

But here is the first one I ever did.
My sons 10th birthday.

icing9n.jpg

it was huge.

3 13X9 cakes.

After that cake, I learned alot of things, smoothing icing, making my own, writing, using buttercream transfers to make my writing more uniform and correct.

Then my mother in laws cake. It too was HUGE. 3 9X13 cakes.

cokepic1.jpg

That led to a friend asking me to do her husband a cake. only 2 13X9 cakes

It was supposed to look like this:

beer1smaller.jpg

beercake2smaller.jpg

and my 9 year olds birthday cake. again 3 13X9 cakes

He asked for this:
realglove.jpg

baseballglovedonesm.jpg

I also made him 3 dozen baseball cupcakes for his ball team, but forgot to take pics of those. I over filled the cupcakes so they bubbled up to look like an actual ball.

His nickname is hoover.

I dont use shaped pans, Everything is cut and shaped out of rectangles. And I havent ever used fondant or such. Its all butter cream icing and all edible.

Last edited:
I have 2 more cakes this summer that I will be doing... not sure what exactly yet, one for my soon to be 3 year old (june 18th) might be diego or something like that and then for the soon to be 7 year old (july 4th) he hasn;t told me what he wants yet so that will still be in the air until further notice, but who knows, I know it iwll be a couple of days of planning and baking and decorating coming my way very soon

Thank you, Your spagetti and meatballs is TOO cute!! and the guitar is great!

I havent tried fondant, I am a little scared of it, plus, dont want to waste money on it. LOL

I think I might try rolling Buttercream frosting.

And I know what you mean. The easy cakes take me about 2-3 days. Between cooking, cooling, letting frosting dry and crust, getting the writing right, and dealing with all 4 kids I have to space them out over time. LOL

And I have to get one out next week, and then 2 are due the week after that, on the same day. LOL

Last edited:
fondant is not that bad to work with, I have another cake that I can not find the pic for that dora and boots are made out of gum paste and they are popping out of a present... that was my first attempt with fondant and gum paste and it turned out great... I would say that if you ever do experiement with it, get a good quality fondant (not from a retail store) I found that the better quality fondant rolls out better, taste better and overall easier to use then the stuff I bought at the retail store... but thats personal preference.... but overall I still would use frosting anyday, but sometimes depending on what is being made it just works better

and I feel you on the 4 kids thing, all 4 of mine are 7 and under (7,6,4,and 2) so time is of the essence, i usually make the cake during the day, but decorating and assembling happens after the kids go to bed

Back
Top Bottom