Anyone make home made eggnog?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I guess we can call it a guilty pleasure but I had my first glass of eggnog this year. It was good and it got me thinking about making my own. I'm not so much looking for a recipe(feel free, though) but was wondering what your thoughts on it were. Is it better than store bought? Is it worth the trouble? Another question came from the eating of raw eggs. I know salmonella is a risk but not sure how big the risk really is. What do you guys think?

My mother made a wonder ful ADULT eggnog years ago. Usually a 5 gal glass jug filled with milk , cream eggs, alcohol and more. THen let it sit for weeks to mature. NOT like anything in the grocery store. I love/hate that thick crap. Would love a glass of my mother's eggnog right now.

What recipe where you thinking of?

My husband makes really gooood eggnog...and he is kind enough to make a separate batch for me because I think even mouthwash fumes are enough to get me heavily intoxicated. ;) I like it much better than store bought.

I have never gotten sick (that I know of) from even store bought eggs, but I'm not sure if that is due to early exposure to raw cookie dough, or if I've just been lucky. I'm always less worried myself about eggs from healthy and well kept hens.

I haven't settled on a recipe, I have been searching the net for one that jumps out at me. I am old enough to drink alcohol so that isn't a limitation for me. I will probably give it a shot later this week when I'm not too busy.

http://www.plantertomato.com/2011/12/chicken-lovers-eggnog-recipe.html

I like this recipe so far but I am a little hesitant to make such a large batch for my first time making it. I'll probably look for another recipe or scale this one down a bit.

You might think you can handle it Cupman...but some of the older recipes out there....I wonder if older generations even *had* livers. XD

Here's my Great-Grandmother's recipe. She made it on Christmas morning and even the little kids drank eggnog, my Mom remembers getting eggnog at breakfast. I remember my Grandmother making eggnog and all the kids got some. Sorta surprising that my parents let us get snockered on nog, considering they definately weren't drinkers.
lau.gif

12 eggs, separated
12 jiggers whiskey
12 heaping tablespoons sugar
1 pint whipping cream
a little milk

whip egg whites until foamy and stiff
whip cream until it forms peaks
mix yolks with sugar, while beating yolks, slowly add jiggers of whiskey, one at a time, continuing to beat the yolk/sugar mixture
The whiskey cooks the egg yolks, if you just dump the whiskey in the yolks, you'll get scrambled eggs
fold in whipping cream and egg whites, add a little milk (maybe a cup)

You can use half the whiskey if 12 jiggers is too strong.

ya'll enjoy the 'nog, ya' heah?

I love homemade eggnog. It's so rich and creamy! Mom and Granny always made it fresh. The first time I tasted the pre-made stuff in a carton, I nearly gagged.
tongue.gif

I haven't settled on a recipe, I have been searching the net for one that jumps out at me. I am old enough to drink alcohol so that isn't a limitation for me. I will probably give it a shot later this week when I'm not too busy.

http://www.plantertomato.com/2011/12/chicken-lovers-eggnog-recipe.html

I like this recipe so far but I am a little hesitant to make such a large batch for my first time making it. I'll probably look for another recipe or scale this one down a bit.
Dividing this down to a much smaller amount should be pretty easy.

You could leave out the peach brandy and be ok.

As for salmonella, don't think immunity is possible; maybe lust lucky as our laws for commercial egg production is better than ever; alcohol acts like a preservative and kills those bugs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom