Anyone noticing an unusually poor November egg production?

I have 30 mixed breeds of hens and have been getting only 2 eggs or less a day since late August. They were moulting and now finally through it, but still not laying. My neighbor one house over has just as many hens (rhode island reds) and they are laying like crazy!

I put a light in the coop a few days ago to extend the "daylight hours." So far, no improvement.
sad.png

Well thank goodness, I thought we were the only ones. Our Blue Rocks haven't slowed down and neither has our Ameracauna's. Our Serama's are laying like crazy and one of the hens has even gone broody and is setting on a dozen eggs. But everyone else has forgotten what it is to lay an egg. Out of approximately 120 hens, we are lucky to get a dozen eggs a day. Granted most of the girls are just finishing molt but they quit laying a ways before they started to molt. They slowed down very early this year. I am hoping that they will start back in soon because we want to get started hatching chicks. This time last year we were hatching 100 chicks a month.

All but one of mine are done with their molt. I think it takes a little time for them to start up again consistently. Two might be getting ready to retire - over five years old and should be laying again by now.

Last edited:
Of the last three Novembers this one is the worst for egg production.

Guess I'm going to have to order some layers... or hatch them....

O Nancy... got eggs????

I think you all might want to look at the protein content of your chickens feed.
We have found 18% in summer and 20% in winter is better then the usually 16%.
Look into upping their intake by 2% or so, and see what things look like in a couple of weeks.

Me too. Out of 27 layers I have been getting from 4-8. I put their water on the heaters, and put their lights on timers so they are getting 14 hours of light. They are gradually starting to pick back up. Not sure if any of that made a difference. Today I got 14 eggs!! My older pen is not doing so well. They need to do better or they may be in danger.

Back
Top Bottom