Anyone on LongIsland who would be willing to adopt a FRIENDLY rooster?

Lorene

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Hi,
I just joined the forum hoping to find somoene in the Long Island area who would be interested and willing to adopt a rooster. I volunteer at a local farm which is a neighborhood historic landmark and attraction.

We have a large rooster (sorry, i don't konw what kind? but he' s very handsome!) who is really friendly but has gotten a little too assertive and we recently had a family with small kids visitng the farm complain that he chased the kids around. We are a not for profit organization ..someone tried to sue us a few years agao over a rooster "attack" and we can't risk it happening again so we're trying to re-home him.

He will eat right out of your hand and likes to get picked up and carried around like a big baby. I have pics of one of our volunteers doing just that with him and I will post them tomorrow when I have access to my other computer.

In the meantime,hoping to connect w/ someone locally who might be able to help ..I realize it is NOT easy to find someone willing and able to adopt a rooster. I wish I lived on a large plot of land far enough away from my neighbors otherwise I would take him home myself.

Hope to hear back from someone soon

Thank you!!

Where is he on Long Island? Closer to Queens or all the way out? I'll wait for pictures. I really want a rooster for my 7 girls, but I'm still trying to get my DH on board. If only I could find a "quieter" rooster. I'm out here with almost no neighbors and I have to deal with the DH. I just can't win!
rant.gif

Hi...i'm in Northport but if you are seriously interested I am willing to travel! I will post pics tomorrow when I have access to them on omy other computer.

I know he crows but not sure if he crows a lot or not..as I am only for short periods at a time.

He's really handsome in my opinion.

Where in Queens do you live , if youdont mind me asking?

Quote:
Formally a New Yorker - now in Northeast PA. I still go down to visit my brother in Douglaston. Some roos will crow all day long, non-stop. I'm trying to find one that is alittle more laid back. I know they're out there - so I'm looking. My girls really need a roo. They free range all day and I'd like them to have a man around for added protection
wink.png
Besides, they just starting laying and hormones are raging. They think I'm their roo
roll.png

Hi,

Sorry about the posts..i wasn't really sure where to post it and I'm a little frantic trying to find a home for this rooster..Is there an adoption section that I'm not seeing?

Tipsydog..i will definitely post pics for you tomorrow when I'm back in the office. Again, I don't now if he's the type to crow all day long but I do know when I'm there volunteering, there are several other roosters that crow far more frequently than he does so maybe that's an indication that he isn't an all day crower. The minature roosters that we have seem to crow a lot more.

I work right near Douglaston..so if you are seriously interested once you see pics and if you can get your dh on board, then I can definitely bring him there if you're in town.

Thanks again and I'll be back in the am with pics...

Hi there,

Here are a couple of pics of the rooster with one of the volunteers at the farm. She calls him her Grandrooster. She would take him home but like me, lives in a very residential area and the neighbors woudln't tolerate it.
I've also included a picture of "Lady" our new miniature horse who he has formed a special bond with..he stays in her pasture and sometimes sleeps with her at night in her pen. I really wish he could just stay at the farm but he has gotten too "assertive" or maybe just too friendly in my opinion with the general public who visits the farm.

44390_rooster_1.jpg

44390_rooster_2.jpg

44390_lady_and_kathy.jpg

Isn't he handsome? He and Lady are almost the same color.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you for the full disclosure. I don't know if I could have used those two characteristics in the same sentence to describe one bird. I hope the folks who adopt him have a Plan B in case Jekyll turns into Hyde.

Rooster "attacks" are nothing to scoff at, these birds are capable of inflicting serious & lasting injuries. Children are especially vulernable. Your farm sounds like a lovely place, one I would love to visit, but you must consider your guests' safety and your liability. Especially when your animals are encountering a multitude of different visitors on a routine basis, some of whom do not know how to approach an animal in a friendly non-threatening manner. And often children, just by being themselves, loud & impulsive, can frighten the animals they want to see & hold.

I know how easy it is for a rooster to win your affections, especially those colorful handsome guys that let you hold them. Some folks swear by techniques to gentle an aggressive rooster, but I know they don't always work. I think it's much easier to cause a gentle rooster to become assertive, if he's been frightened he can become wary & defensive.

The title of your post was a bit misleading, but I'm glad you were fully honest in your description. I truly wish your rooster & his new owners the best of success.

And,
welcome-byc.gif

Yiou are correct..I was not trying to be misleading..Actually, I thought I was being careful in choosing to use the word "assertive" ..as to not convey "aggressiveness" For example, he will hop up on the rabbit hutches while i'm cleaning them out and follow me from hutch to hutch ... I will wind up having to gently push him off in order to get my work done. That in my opinion is being 'assertive'..if he jumped on my head and started pecking at me that would be full on aggression.

I'm obviously not a rooster expert by any means so perhaps I'm naive in thinking this isn't a problem? Maybe this "assertive" behavior as i have described it is a precursor to more "aggressive behavior"? I do know unlike other roosters we've had this one is very tame and will eat out of your hand and let you pick him p as you can see in the pics.

Bottom line is we're trying to find him a new home where he isn't bombarded by crowds of people all day especially when as you mention, it includes impulsive children whose parents (generally speaking) do not teach them how to engage with animals. So I totally agree with you on that point.

Back
Top Bottom