Anyone order from Mt healthy in Ohio, or Meyers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Has anyone ordered from Mt Healthy or Meyers? How do the quality of chicks compare? Any problems with shipping? Thank You

2. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I have only ordered from Ideal. All 20 survived. I ordered the surprise mix but was a little dissapointed with the selection they sent me. Mostly sex-links and a lot of packing peanuts. But shipping was fast and they were all healthy. I don't know about the other hatcheries

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If you do a search on these two hatcheries you will find many posts. Both have very good reputations. I have 25 chicks arriving in 4 days from Mt. Healthy.

4. blondechick

blondechick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Southeastern Ohio
    I ordered the rainbow pullet pack from meyers. I'm going to go pick them up May 18. I'll let you know.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    there all good hatcheries

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've ordered a tone of birds from Meyers and could not be any happier.
    They get an A+ from me.

7. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    most of mine indirectly come from Mt Healthy.. everyone who orders from Mt Healthy is pleased.. but, from what I hear they dont have a broad selection

8. TNpoultrybreeder

TNpoultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    TN.
    Hi
    I have 25 Delaware chicks that should be here May 14 or 15 from Meyer Hatchery. I will let you know more info. on them when I get them.

TNpoultrybreeder

9. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    The Tractor Supply where I got my Amber Sexlinks and my Assorted Bantams gets their chicks only from Mt. Healthy. In total I bought 12 chicks and 2 ducklings from TSC and I have 6 chicks left, and the two ducks. I don't blame the hatchery for the deaths, cause I know people think nothing of going into the TSC's and just handling the new chicks, and top that with the stress of being shipped and you're bound to have problems. Overall the chicks I still have from them are happy and healthy. The Sexlinks all turned out to be different colors, and with completely different personalities, and I love the bantams I have from them. They are all good birds. I don't know what it's like to order straight from them though. And I don't know anyone that has. Next year I am considering mypetchicken.com. I'm not positive about that yet though. Good luck with whatever hatchery you do decide on. This year I used Cackle Hatchery for my main order. All my chicks arrived alive, though my order was filled wrong. I only lost one chick from that batch. The rest are 4 1/2 weeks old now and thriving. Good luck wherever you decide to order from. [​IMG]

10. ptig78d

ptig78d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Bucksport, ME
    I ordered from Mt. Healthy last year. We did an order of 25 RIR pullets, and we only had one DOA, but there was an extra shipped with our order, so it was even. We sold all but 5, and I am happy to say that they are healthy vibrant hens now...just celebrated their 1st birthday, so to speak! [​IMG]
    Mt. Healthy's packing was excellent, and their customer service department was very pleasant and knowledgeable.
    It's true, they don't have a broad selection, but they do an outstanding job as far as I'm concerned. Our local feed store, as I found out recently, only orders from Mt. Healthy, except for fancy breeds which they get from McMurray's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by