Anyone order small quantity from Ideal w/o chicks for warmth?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by yoie, Mar 11, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Songster

I have placed yet another order with Ideal, this time for bantams. I was worried about them putting thier packing peanuts in with them, since they would be larger chicks. I got the insurance instead, but they are still a small number of chicks. Has anyone else done this with Ideal or other hatchery? What was your experience?

2. BR75

BR75 In the Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    I ordered 13 from Ideal in December and chose not to have the extra birds for warmth. I lost one during shipment, but the rest were fine.

3. jenn-E

jenn-E Chirping

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I ordered in the summer. I placed my order over the phone & asked how few they thought it was safe to ship without packing peanuts. They told me 12, so I ordered 14 (chicken math!). They all arrived in good shape.

4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I just received a small order the other day of 5 Turkens and 4 BBB Turkeys. They are all doing very well! None died on the trip from Texas to Pennsylvania!

5. yoie

yoie Songster

Thanks all! They are shipping out Wednesday and hoping for good weather and a quick trip. Last time I ordered from Ideal they shipped out Wednesday and I picked them up Friday morning, really early and all were good. But I had 10 + packing peanuts. Didn't want packing peanuts this time since they are bantams.

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I ordered 5 standard and 4 bantam, all alive on arrival, one silkie was loopy, but made it

the other time 2 standard and 3 bantam all alive

both times I got 7 RIR males and females as warmers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: