Anyone ordered from MEYER hatchery?

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
I ordered 5 of the assorted brown egg layers (females). They are due to arrive July 1st. They are in Ohio, and I am in Rhode Island. Will they put any "packing peanuts"? Also, do you think they will be roosters? The three I ordered are hens... also aside from the packing peanuts, do they usually send an extra of your order in case one dies on arrival?

Are they a good hathcery? Please share some of your experiances with Meyer, and also, what is the most popular breed they give out for there assorted brown egg layers?

Thanks!
Erica

they are a great hatchery! I live about an hour and a half from there and I have both ordered and picked up my chicks in person. The ones that came in the mail were in great shape. They threw in a few extras (2) and one was a hen and one a beautiful roo. When I went to pick up my chicks for the next order, their personell was so freindly and their facility was absolutely spotless.
smile.png

I ordered last month. They sent exactly what I ordered. No extras. Chicks arrived in great condition (a day earlier than they told me!!!) and while I can't tell yet, they all appear to be pullets. They had a small "heating pad" and where packed with a straw material. I would highly recommend them.

Good luck with your order!

ETA: I ordered 7 chicks on their small order program.

Last edited:
I ordered and picked up 10 chicks about 2 weeks ago. The hatchery was neat and clean with an incredible assortment of coops right in their show room.
All of the chicks are still alive and healthy. I plan on using them for my next load of chicks.

I have ordered from Meyers twice and I had my chicks within 12 hours. All healthy and beautiful. I think they pack extras only in colder weather. of course i ordered a full box full so i didnt get any extra chickens. The second time i ordered i let them know not to send me any extras so im not sure if they will send any for you or not. I wont order chicks from anywhere else.

They do real well with sexing the chicks also. Mt healthy dont do well with sexing.

I ordered 25 strait run dominiques from them last year and recieved 26 healthy chicks. Ten were hens, and 16 were roos. It took 3 days to arrive in central VA
This year I ordered 35. 37 were shipped during our heatwave and took 3 days to arrive. Half of them died. The replacements they shipped the next week took only 2 days and all were healthy. I only ordered hens this year. One is a roo. Probably one of the freebies!
I'm sure the problem with my chicks this year was because of the weather and the 3 days transit time. I don't know why the replacements got here quicker.
I wish they'd do overnight express for chicks.

I was at the hatchery about 2 weeks ago and they have everything you could want for poultry. The staff is knowledgable and friendly i got 7 black jersey giants 6 pullets 1 cockerial 6 pnew hamshire red pullets and 3 ameracana pullets all healthy and doing good. and there prices are very good also.

I ordered 40 female chicks. Hatch date was 5/18 and 41 arrived at my rural Vermont post office in the morning of 5/20. All 41 survived, are healthy and are growing like weeds. The jury is still out on their gender... The 12 Speckled Sussex are feathering in at different speeds and that makes me wonder if they sexed them well.

Back
Top Bottom