anyone own a havahart 1081 live trap?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
it is 15 x 15 x 42.

just got one and it is pretty difficult to set the trigger hook to set the trap. i need to really pull that door up tightly to get the 'double-paneled' door hi enough so the hook can hook onto it to hold it in the 'set' position.

THEN there is not much movement in the hook to allow me to move it forward to get the hook well under the wire of the door (get it?)

I KNOW you don't want a real nice hooking of the door. after all, the trap has to trip, right? but this just seems that there isn't enough to really set it well.

It is just barely, barely holding the door open, or it just slips right off the hook and closes--ONCE i get the door pulled hi enough to latch it that is.

anyone else.

We used to use those all the time without a problem. Could it be yours has a flaw in the manufacturing? Maybe you could get it replaced.

coldwetnoz

Look carefully at the trigger mechanism.

You can probably SLIGHTLY bend some of the rods to make minor adjustments

ONLY do SMALL bends until it's like you want it.

I've had mine over ten years and have had to do some fine tuning.

Needle nose pliers work best for precise bends

Last edited:
Check to see if the portion of the trigger arm that runs through the trigger plate isn't extending out past the plate and catching on the bars of the opposite side of trap. If it is, just pull it back through the plate a bit.

Last edited:
I would exchange it first to see if it is a flaw in the cage you bought. I had one from home depot for $44 and can not recall any issues other than a slight bend in the wire(cosmetic).

I got a tiny cage from harbor frieght for squirrels and chipmunk,and that one had a bad trigger.

Oh I do recall adding some zip ties to the back door of the cage.Did not want my critter escaping. I only got groundhogs. I have seen the damage(on here) that a coon can do to a cage,so you want to secure the cage well.

Back
Top Bottom