Anyone paint their nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MarieNC, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    Just wondering if I should keep them natural wood, stain them, seal them or paint them.

2. ericstac

ericstac In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm painting mine inside and out. the inside will be painted with something durable that can be washed easily without wear, and that doesn't allow the wood to get wet.

edit: just realized you said nesting box. [​IMG] these I am thinking a dark paint.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    I built our first coop a few months ago. Our girls aren't quite to laying-age....but they are getting close.
    I painted the inside of the nesting boxes with the same paint I used on the exterior. I did not seal it, but the paint is a semi-gloss, so clean-up should be easy.

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    I have some leftover semi-gloss paint from a bathroom remodel - sounds like this would work! And it's a lovely dark teal blue color. [​IMG]

5. GermanChick

GermanChick Songster 8 Years

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I painted mine. The outside in a light gray and the inside in a dark blue so it feels hopefully more inviting to them
    [​IMG]

The picture was taken before they moved in, not so nice and clean anymore [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: