Anyone play the violin?

I'm a violin n00bie like you... I studied for about a year and a half, but had to stop because my grad school schedule was making it too hard for me to fit in enough practice time. It's great fun to know something about music.

Yeah... I've maneged to sick with it for 3 years, and it does take up time. luckily I home school, I think that's why I was able to stick with it.

You know what's fun though? did you rent a violin or did you buy one? because if you still have it and if you got the basics you could still learn songs and stuff and not practice as much.

I have a cheap violin and started to learn it, but I have problems with carpal tunnel in both wrists and it becomes painful on the left wrist if I practice much. I've had the surgery and hope to get back to it, but even after healing from the surgery I still have pain in them sometimes. I have no trouble remembering the notes by ear but still have trouble with the bow bouncing. So you can see, I have a long way to go.

Last edited:
Violin is a wonderful instrument but I suspect that the earlier in life that you start to learn, the easier it is. At best, violin is difficult to learn how to play, but the best start when they are about 5 years old.

I tried when I was five i think.... oh gee, I hated it! if I stepped out of this circle thing the lesson was over, and I wanted to know what the staff and notes where but we hadn't gotten there yet, but my teacher didn't even tell me. I like it a lot better now. I think I had a bad experience with the teacher when I was little...

A method, called the Suzuki Method was developed in Japan to teach young children how to play the violin and it has been very successful.

Back
Top Bottom