Anyone purchased a used coop? Pros and cons?

Beehappy13

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Montana
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a used chicken coop before? And what the pros and cons are to that? I was planning on building my own coop in the coming weeks but my husband doesn’t really want to build one because the layout I wanted is “too complicated” 🤨🙄 so he found a custom built coop near us but being that it’s been used before makes me weary.

Nothing wrong with buying a used coop really, just go for a viewing and make sure of its condition as photos can be deceiving.
Thank you. I just wasn’t sure if I should be worried about any of the poop or whatever left over in the coop. I mean obviously I would clean it as best I could but I didn’t know if anything lingering could affect my girls.

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a used chicken coop before? And what the pros and cons are to that? I was planning on building my own coop in the coming weeks but my husband doesn’t really want to build one because the layout I wanted is “too complicated” 🤨🙄 so he found a custom built coop near us but being that it’s been used before makes me weary.
I see used coops on FB market often. When even the photos look rough, you know they are likely in bad shape in person. I'd definitely want to see first and find out why they no longer use it (disease?). Most of the time they are unwieldy to move and need repairs and sanitizing to the degree I never thought was worth it. It took us six weeks of all our spare time to build a really good one ourselves, but glad we did and I know Iam not inheriting any wellness issues.

Pros would be the price usually, and the fact that it's complete and ready to go (hopefully without needing extensive repairs). Cons would be possibility of passing on disease or parasites, as well as practicality of moving it.

I would take it, if it meets the mustard. Give it a good sweeping out. Ask how long it has been that it had chickens in it. If it has been empty several weeks, I would not worry about disease or parasites. Those pests and germs need chickens to live.

A good sweeping out, add good bedding, install birds.

A couple of things to check, not all buildings are good for raising chickens, but people have put chickens in them, and to be honest, most do just fine. I knew a lady that kept her chickens in an old car. I was kind of appalled, but to be honest, it did not seem to bother her or her chickens. However, do look at ventilation, which is pretty easy to add. Do make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes, which generally is easy to adjust.

Personally, I have had both, and I would much rather have a coop that I can walk in. I do not like the elevated box that is only 4 feet high (or there about) I found it difficult to clean, difficult to get birds out of if I needed to handle them.

Oh I have gotten two used, and built one.

Mrs K

I do have the ability to move it and it seems pretty solid. But it’s the diseases and stuff that I worry about. No sense in buying a coop if it’s going to kill my girls. Then I won’t have any to put in there. Thanks everyone. Looks like I gotta get going on the build 😆

I would take it, if it meets the mustard. Give it a good sweeping out. Ask how long it has been that it had chickens in it. If it has been empty several weeks, I would not worry about disease or parasites. Those pests and germs need chickens to live.

A good sweeping out, add good bedding, install birds.

A couple of things to check, not all buildings are good for raising chickens, but people have put chickens in them, and to be honest, most do just fine. I knew a lady that kept her chickens in an old car. I was kind of appalled, but to be honest, it did not seem to bother her or her chickens. However, do look at ventilation, which is pretty easy to add. Do make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes, which generally is easy to adjust.

Personally, I have had both, and I would much rather have a coop that I can walk in. I do not like the elevated box that is only 4 feet high (or there about) I found it difficult to clean, difficult to get birds out of if I needed to handle them.

Mrs K
That’s good to know. I didn’t want a smaller coop either for that reason. I wanted to be able to walk into it. It was a custom made coop built just for the chickens. He said they moved and no longer had chickens. Which, I don’t know why, but it was kinda weird for me. I mean anyone can say anything when selling things. All the chickens could have died and they didn’t want more for all I know. He said it was big enough to house 15 of them. I am able to walk into it and it is about the same size I would build mine. That’s the only reason I was considering it. He said it hasn’t been used for a year

I would take it. You can tell if there has been birds in there recently, is the manure fresh inside the coop? If the coop has been emptied with no bedding, I would take it. Most chicken diseases are passed from live chickens to live chickens. I know of nothing that would live on a dry surface. The same thing is true of parasites. They have a very limited life cycle off of a live bird. While mites can live overnight in the crevices of wood, they have to feed on a live bird or die. And empty coop, has no feed source for either.

Where there is a very slim chance of disease, would be in old manure, maybe in a corner built up. Just get that cleaned out, and no you don't have to wash the coop. Do not use strong disinfectants. The fume would cause more damage than killing already dead germs.

Seriously, a good sweeping, fresh bedding and you are good to go.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom