Anyone raise broilers in winter?

Quote:
This is very intriguing to me.... What are the volume of birds you are talking about here? And why would a Ministry pay more for organic just to feed people.... I know the obvious of organic, healthy etc, but are you losing money yourself to feed people better quality food than Donald Trump eats????
wink.png
Give me some info... I am very interested in a really good way! Thanks

They are asking for 3-4 per week, so I'll do a batch of 25 per month and save the extra for me to eat.
As to why they chose organic, the simple answer is that they feel God leading them in that direction. That might not make much sense to some readers, so here's the more complicated answer. 1) They want to take care of the health of the specific people they are taking care of in the best way possible. 2) The ministry is made up of volunteers who eat organic as often as possible, so they want to give those in their care the same quality food that the volunteers would feed themselves and their children. The often quoted scripture is "love your neighbor as you love yourself". They are trying to live that out. 3)Finally, they want to give others the best that they can offer. Sure, they could hand out peanut butter sandwiches with an apple, and the shut-ins would get all the nutrition they need. But the volunteers want to do more than that. These shut-ins are people that they genuinely care about, and the volunteers view their service as a gift. When you love someone, you don't give them just anything. You give them the best that you can get.
smile.png

I won't be losing money by doing this service. They'll pay cost plus some. I will lose some time, and I know time is money, but I'm willing to take that loss to know that I'm helping out.
Don't worry, no insult taken. Curiosity is understandable.
smile.png

Tracydr: we have rye planted right now. Thanks!

BButter you may want to see how 'organic' they need. I, myself try to make natural eggs and chicken. I avoid the word organic cause it is a certification I don't care about. I feed organic feed, I let them free range but... I give them scraps and alittle whole oats the oats aren't organic and the scraps come from my table which has a mixture of organic food and regular food.

If your friends want a good healthy product you could probably get alot of free veggies from the local produce section especially if you tell them why you are raising the birds. The produce wouldn't be organic but it would make for a healthy bird and give you a price break on feed. Of course you could approach your local organic supplier too. Good luck with your venture. I think its great.

For clarification, I guess I should explain here that my broilers are not certified organic. They are pastured and medication-free. They are aware of this and approached me. I just used the word organic because it was easier to lump everything together on here, instead of saying, "they want organic vegetables, pastured meats, true free range eggs, etc.". I do already provide them with eggs when I have extra. We're also working with some others on providing vegetables. I raise grass fed beef, but the cost for that is out of their price range.
hmm.png
We may be able to work out a deal on a whole ground up steer.

Love, love, love your suggestion to ask for freebies!!! (Why didn't I thinka that??
roll.png
)

I think you have a wonderful idea going for you - and you would not be "loosing time" at all, because to me, being part of something given truly from the heart like this project, that time is itself a gift of love.

I would say either find a friend to split the order with and maybe share a little of that time - maybe one of the volunteers would help brood a few (even in an apartment you can hide baby chicks in a rubbermaid tote)....that would help I think...if not, 25 once a month on a good rotation should get you going and be doable by yourself as well...but just maybe you could get a little more help...it's worth asking...

To me, so far, winter is easier than summer with these chickens - they almost like the cold if it isn't TOO cold...I know they hate the heat (I am opposite personally, but these are a weird breed of chicken
smile.png
)

Right now I have 19 outside headed to freezer camp SOON...14 in the brooder headed outside once I make some room for them in the tractors...and a hot mess of other stuff going on and we are doing just fine...I think you can make it work, and do well at it. I can't wait to hear more about how it goes, please do keep us posted! If you lived closer I'd pitch in and help out for a project like this one, it really sounds worth it to give it a go and make it work!

Quote:
This is very intriguing to me.... What are the volume of birds you are talking about here? And why would a Ministry pay more for organic just to feed people.... I know the obvious of organic, healthy etc, but are you losing money yourself to feed people better quality food than Donald Trump eats????
wink.png
Give me some info... I am very interested in a really good way! Thanks

They are asking for 3-4 per week, so I'll do a batch of 25 per month and save the extra for me to eat.
As to why they chose organic, the simple answer is that they feel God leading them in that direction. That might not make much sense to some readers, so here's the more complicated answer. 1) They want to take care of the health of the specific people they are taking care of in the best way possible. 2) The ministry is made up of volunteers who eat organic as often as possible, so they want to give those in their care the same quality food that the volunteers would feed themselves and their children. The often quoted scripture is "love your neighbor as you love yourself". They are trying to live that out. 3)Finally, they want to give others the best that they can offer. Sure, they could hand out peanut butter sandwiches with an apple, and the shut-ins would get all the nutrition they need. But the volunteers want to do more than that. These shut-ins are people that they genuinely care about, and the volunteers view their service as a gift. When you love someone, you don't give them just anything. You give them the best that you can get.
smile.png

I won't be losing money by doing this service. They'll pay cost plus some. I will lose some time, and I know time is money, but I'm willing to take that loss to know that I'm helping out.
Don't worry, no insult taken. Curiosity is understandable.
smile.png

Tracydr: we have rye planted right now. Thanks!

What a neat idea! We are giving our extra eggs to our church food pantry...as we have way too many to use. I love to be able to donate when possible, whether it's time or "stuff". Thank you for your service. I'm sure it's much appreciated!

I can see the benefit of feeding organic to the elderly and ill. If they need meals on wheels, then there is a very good chance they are taking a lot of different medications. Food as pure as possible would have less chance of reacting with any meds, and I think we all agree that home grown food is more healthy.

As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for organic for people who are receiving welfare, but if it is a private charity, then they are free to spend their money as they see fit. Naturally raised food is better and if they have the funds to pay for it, I can see the reasoning behind it.

Back
Top Bottom