Anyone read "the Chicken Health Handbook"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Indiana hens, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow
    Suggested purchasing or reading this book, for all poultry owners.
    This is published by Storey Publishing.
    Anyone else read this book? Do you think it would help the average poultry owner?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I think it is a MUST HAVE for any chicken owner! It should be a staple in the medicine cabinet.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    It is a must have for any poultry owner. It is great! It should come with every order of chicks.
    Sharon

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have 2, one at home, and one at work. I agree if you have chickens, you should have this book. mypetchicken has had it on sale for a while......you might want to check them out.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a great book to have, but a warning....if you just sit and read it, you may never want to raise chickens, LOL. On the other hand, if you read it before getting chickens, you will want to practice great bio-security! Wish everyone would have it in their reference library and read it from cover to cover.

6. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have been looking for this book.....I would like to have all the Gail Damerow books

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Amazon.com has them starting at $10.98! I was just looking at them.

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Haven't read through it entirely, but I do own it! Got it off amazon.com.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hubby got the book for me one time for my birthday, its a keepsake for those who owns chickens and it is very informative!

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I dunno, it's an interesting book. I'm not sure how "essential" I'd call it, but certainly if you are interested in things like that it's nice to have around and if you buy adult birds from swaps and so forth then it might actually *be* somewhat useful.

I am not impressed with the factual accuracy of the information that I know enough (as a biologist) to judge -- there are a lot of inaccuracies in there, albeit none that actually change anything, but it makes me wonder how well-proofread and medically-accurate and up-t0-date the rest of it is, that I *don't* know enough to judge.

Can't hurt to have it, though [​IMG]

I feel there is still really an empty space out there for a GOOD book on backyard-type flock health and health management... better organized, more tightly focused on commonly encountered problems, and much more detailed in descriptions and treatment suggestions and anecdotes about actual cases. If anyone from the publishing industry is listening [​IMG]

JMO,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by