Anyone recommend a wireless camera we can put in our coop?

NoelC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Howdy,

I know, we're nuts! Actually, one of our small flock of 5 began pecking eggs, doesn't seem to eat them, but does daily open them ;o(

They've always had free access to oyster shell, quality feed, pasteur forage, and are otherwise real healthy. We put 5 golf balls in the nest as a decoy that won't yield to pecks. But...we'd like to see who's doing it and though maybe a nest-cam would do it. Ideas for a camera that does't cost much yet works? Our house is about 75' from the coop. It would have to be 9v or other battery operable, and would have to be sync able to our wifi network.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am interested in replies to this. We just bought a surveillance cam (Belkin) at Best Buy. The first problem was that it needed power, so I had to run 5 extension cords (when a product says wireless, I assume it's wireless). But then I found out the coop is too far from our house and wifi. It is 70 yards from the house to the coop. Hubby says it needs a signal booster, but I am done buying things for this and it is going back to the store tomorrow. NOT what I needed.

we LOVE our wireless camera, we can access it thru DLink at any time on our IPhones. I can make sure that the automatic pop door has closed or if one of the girls has missed closing time and is sitting on the ramp to the hen house. we have even used a camera to monitor the chicken feeder for rodent activity and set rat traps to take care of the freeloaders.

Having recently went through this effort I found a fun way to get this to work.
I bought the following to make it truly wireless, meaning I didn't have to run power or any other wires.
Dlink 932L (D-Link DCS-932L Day & Night Wi-Fi Camera)
TRIPP LITE 3-Feet USB to Type - N 5V DC Power Cable A Male to Type N Barrel, Black (U152-003-N)
And a 12000mAh power bank.

With this setup I was able to get the camera to run for a day. Make sure your wifi wifi will reach and you can do this by making sure you have at least 2 bars by your coop for at least 2-3 minutes (test by surfing the web).
The pictures from this camera are pretty good and I would say it's baby monitor quality day and night (actually it's better than my baby's monitor).

If you wanted to you can also set this up to solar cells however requires a power bank that can both be charged and used at the same time. There are a few that do this, I just didn't mind disconnecting it at night, charging overnight, and reconnecting in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom