Anyone See a Problem Here?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OvertheHenHouse, Sep 30, 2011.

1. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    So my 12 pullets and one cockerel are finally in their coop! The coop isn't completely 'finished' but is done enough for them to move in (just have to trim up the shingles and put trim around the windows). Here's a picture of the completed coop, chicks already inside:
    [​IMG]
    Yep - idyllic...right? Wait...what's that in the lower left...?
    [​IMG]
    OMG - it's ... a dog...?!
    [​IMG]
    OMG - it IS a dog!!! It's my cocker spaniel, Mollie, and I think she's drooling! Yep - she's spent the past two days glued to the coop door, watching 'Chick TV' and waiting for an opportunity to pounce - stinker!
    OK, Mollie, I'm going to run you off, you no good 'I'm gonna get those chicks if it's the last thing I do' mongerel! Gonna run you off, I say...
    [​IMG]
    Oh, yeah - that worked well. Guess I'm going to be building a fence before building the run...things you don't anticipate when you're raising chicks!

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i like your coop. and your dog.

cute.

3. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    My labradors and cocker have always drooled and stressed over my chicks (that I usually start out with in the dining room). They don't even bother with them AT ALL when they are free ranging in the yard. I let them know that the chicks are off limits (pointed finger, stern voice) and now I leave them out in the yard to guard the chickens when I go into town. It wasn't too hard, or maybe my dogs are easily discouraged. Cockers have a pretty strong hunting instinct, I know, though.

4. quesodano

quesodano Out Of The Brooder

nice colors. the shingles hanging in the breeze is a definite fashion statement too [​IMG]
    the pooch is cute

5. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Thanks! Mollie's pretty great - except when chicks are concerned, apparently...

6. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Yep - I actually got a sense this might be a problem. I raised the chicks from day-olds in the guest bathroom and once she realized they were in there (just about the last week - not the brightest bulb in the box) she took position at the bathroom door. Mollie kills gophers and ground squirrels and has been known to stand motionless for hours waiting for the gopher to be in the perfect position before pouncing. Yep - gonna need that fence...

7. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Wish I could say the fashion statement was intended. Sadly, everything took so much longer than anticipated with the coop build that I was lucky to get the kids in their own apartment before WWIII broke out [​IMG] If I have shingles flapping in the breeze, it's a small price to pay for world peace [​IMG]
    Pooch rocks - just worried that she'd actually take action if given the opportunity. Yep - building that fence as fast as I can...thanks...

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Back off now Molly- be nice!

9. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Thanks! I'll let her know you said that! I used to live in La Crescenta - I loved it up there!

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Good Job on your coop! I love seeing all the different styles and ideas! I am still working on my Super Coopola [​IMG]
    My Sweet Baby Dog Jezabelle is being just the opposite [​IMG] She is very aggressive to ALL animals and I thought I would have
    a hard time having my chicks in the house with her but she is soooooo sweet [​IMG] [​IMG] she just walks up calmly and looks at them then will roll over and
    wiggle on her back! I am so sure if I left the room though that she would look like Sylvester the Putty Tat with a feather floating out of her smile when I got back [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by