Anyone see Martha Stewarts show featuring her MM chicks?

for Lisa or anyone else who knows:

New to this so don't laugh too much!
lau.gif

Is this for real-what is spraddle leg? my chicks are also in the brooder on newspaper with shavings on top. do I need to remove the shavings?

Last edited:
No. They're fine on shavings. You don't want them on slippery newpaper is all. Spraddle leg is basically a chick doing the splits because he cant get his legs under him properly, sometimes caused by a slippery surface.

spraddle leg is when the chicks are given something slick (like newspaper) to walk on and they can't stand up straight because it is slippery. Their legs will become permanently disfigured and they can die if not treated quickly. DO NOT remove the chips, remove the newspaper. The best thing is chips with paper towles spread over that.

I haven't seen her new coops but I have seen her old coops from Turkey Hill. She built beautiful houses for the birds. She planted roses around the outside entrance and fixed them up in a charming cottage manner. Back then it wasn't odd for her to pitch in and clean the coops either. She did it all.

I'm sure your chicks will do well just like they are, Bamagirl.
I was kind-of being sarcastic about the 'Martha-piece'.
The newspaper is supposed to be to slick for little chicky-feet and that causes them to be spraddle-legged. The shavings on top gives them traction. In the case of what they showed of Martha's brooder-house, there was just a smidgy sprinkling of shavings and didn't look like enough to give any traction.
Then, there is the point of covering the shavings til the chicks learn 'what is food', which they hadn't done .

Personally, I've never had a chick get spraddle-legged' . I've had some that hatched that way and fixed them.

Back to the Araucana and MMcM thing...
Martha is a very smart individual and I'm SURE knows the difference.
I've always liked Martha (and who else on nat'l tv is talking up chickens), but for goodness sake, I wish she'd quit calling her EE chickens 'Araucanas'!

Lisa

Quote:
I remember watching that one and saying, "well if Martha can have chickens, so can I!" She honestly did act very caring toward them. Now if only Icould afford those sweet little chicken cottages...wait, DH thinks I;m kooky enough already. Its not gonna happen!!
lau.gif

Martha got her TV start here in CT from her Westport estate. She has tons of chickens
there. The estate just went up for sale, chickens and all.

Martha herself is two faced and a bit evil. She's also brilliant and a great
businesswomen. I respect her but I don't like her.

If I get a chance to watch her chicken thing I will.

Hey, don't blame Martha. Lots of poultry people who SHOULD know better make the same mistake with Aracaunas/Ameracanas/Easter Eggers.
True breed Aracaunas are still something of a rarity in this country. Their blue-egg genes have gotten around is all.

AND most hatchereis dont have vast lots full of every breed imaginable. They farm it out to breeders who specialize, often enough on consignment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom