anyone seen this before?

Chickens do keep you at home, thankfully I don't like to travel, for now. Wish I could help you out. With as many critters as I keep I have learned to accept their deaths, though it always bothers me. But I give them the best life I can and I know they are better off than than all the poor production birds in the world.

I would give her Baytril. And take her to the vet.
You never know. Medicine to take down an infection
would give her relief. I would try.

No, you never know. I've tried lots of thing already. I would more seriously consider taking her to a vet for the $70+ if she were a younger bird. As we said ealier, antibiotics don't seem to ever help an older bird. I've tried many times. And YES, she's had SO much better of a life than most chickens, especially production birds. That makes me feel a little better. Sigh. End of life is always sad, no matter who or what's life is ending.

I'm so sorry for you. I just lost a 3 1/2 years old broody who died on her eggs. it was heartbreaking
.I screamed when I found her just leaned over dead on her eggs. She was fine the day before . I heard her sister screaming like something was wrong and I ran out and found her. so awful. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your girl. it's so hard...Your in my thoughts. Hopefully she will recover. Thinking of you.

Thank you realsis. I'm so sorry for the loss of yours! What a sad shock for you. Its so hard to lose a friend. It is comforting to be able to share with people who understand here on backyard chickens forum. Thank you all for being here!

Thank you realsis. I'm so sorry for the loss of yours! What a sad shock for you. Its so hard to lose a friend. It is comforting to be able to share with people who understand here on backyard chickens forum. Thank you all for being here!

If you need to euthanize, I can personally recommend dry ice and a 5 gallon bucket with lid (like the orange Home Depot kind).

Put about 1/4 lb dry ice in the bottom, pour warm liquid, as kindness put something like styrofoam on top of that but which allows the steam to circulate, close lid, let cloud build up for several minutes until it is nice and big.

Open lid, place bird in, close lid with a small vent to let out the expanding gases.

The bird will flutter for a second (first gasp that causes immediate unconcsiousness), then you will hear more fluttering from involuntary muscle movement. Asphyxiation occurs within a minute.

It's the fastest and kindest way I know of. (All the horrible stories you hear about CO2 euthanasia is for birds led into an industrial room while CO2 levels are slowly raised, the only way the industry can do it without killing the human handlers....you are quick immersing in a heavy cloud created in a small closed container...the same technique as fire retardant, which gives clear instructions to all humans to leave immediately as you will get one gasp and then out, then dead in several minutes...my husband works in the computer industry with CO2 room dispensers for fire).

I too find that few chickens are cured. Most that are sick are best culled or they simply linger until something else takes them.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom