Anyone seen this before?

Zen-D-Chicken

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Today I let my girls out for their usual foraging in the yard.
My daughter came home from school and went to play with them, she noticed one with blood all over it.
I was afraid a cat or something got one.
After washing her off I found a hard round bulge on her wing at the elbow. It was picked off, her and the other chickens were pecking at it.

Here is a picture.

chicken_wing.jpg

For now I have some gauze on it with neosporin and vet wrap. I separated her from the others so they wont pick at it too much.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Looks like her wing bone! It seems awful, but if you keep the antibiotic stuff on her she will be as good as new in no time. I have a white quail that gets picked on a lot. He is not happy alone, but running with the others means that he shows up periodically with his skull showing. I blob a bunch of triple antibiotic ointment on him and separate him for a day and he is fine. I used to use the vet wrap, but it seems like the others leave an injury alone when I put the ointment on. Either it tastes bad or they don't peck at it because it is not bright red anymore.

you might get so bluekote and treat her with that and do keep her separaed till it starts to heal[scabbing] then just keep the bluekote on her and she'll be good to go..

Back
Top Bottom