Anyone set any eggs today? I need a buddy!! Aug. 27th-30th!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 27, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I put 5 huge eggs under my broody silkie today!!! She is actualy very nice while broody!! But I need to hatch buddies!!! Is anyone due around the same time? This is my first time hatching with a broody hen!! Let's hope it goes Better than it has with the incubator!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    You're a little early for me, my eggs aren't due to arrive until Monday If all the eggs make it thru shipping and I have any extra that won't fit in my bator, I'm planning on using a broody. I have 4 silkies and 2 cochins broody at the moment so the girls are my backup.

Are you hatching silkies or just using the silke as your broody mom?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I put 6 silkie eggs in today but I am a horrible ..... horrendous ..... dreadful ..... appalling ..... hideous ..... disastrous ..... I also may not be a very good ..... hatching buddy. I have tried many times and hatching with me is like someone hatching on their own ..... just worse! [​IMG]

I vote for Chicken Chat.

4. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I'm just using her as a mom!! I have been buying eggs from this man down road from me, and his eggs are HUGE, so I decided I wanted to hatch some!!

5. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    I'm setting 23 silkie eggs in my gator tomorrow -

6. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Quote:Im not to sure how good a gator would take care of eggs..... Haha I'm just kidding I know what you ment!

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:I'm with you.
    I've had a 50% hatch with a LG, then 100% with a broody, then a pretty high hatch with 2 broodies sharing a clutch which they crushed all but one.
    I tried 2 doz blk penedesenca eggs in my LG last week and it went haywire and fried all the eggs.
    Luckily I had a Black Leghorn pullet go broody yesterday. I just swapped out her eggs when she left the nest in the last hour.
    I have 11 pure Black Penedesenca, 1 Blue JG/B Pene, 1 Welsummer/B Pene, 1 Ameracauna/B Pene under her for a total of 14 eggs.
    Seems like all she can fit.
    Anyone think I should pull a couple?

8. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Wow that's alot!! I don't know what to tell you! Like i said this is my first time!! I'm happy I have a buddy now!!!

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well she's bigger than a silkie but not as big as the Buff Orp that hatched all 13 I put under her.
    Here's the Black Leghorn
    http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/6/b/8/2/highres_22707522.jpeg
    and the BO
    http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/6/3/7/f/highres_15985471.jpeg
    here's the eggs less the Welsummer I added later in the day that I put under the leghorn.
    http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/6/b/1/e/highres_22707422.jpeg
    the eggs are much darker than shown in the bright sunlight
    the three bottom ones are brown, brown and green

and the eggs that the Little Giant fried [​IMG]

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/3/3/b/9/highres_21853241.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hey can I be in? I just put 3 khaki campbell duck eggs and two unknown chicken eggs in my bator! I dont know how they will do together though. The two chicken eggs were suppost to be duck eggs but eneded up being chicken eggs lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by