Anyone set eggs this weekend?

Me too! I am excited for you, and for me too of course. Can't wait. My 5 chicks are 12 days old and they are changing by the day. Now I have baby bunnies too. I am in baby overload!!! But loving every minute of it. My baby chicks have started to eat some treats like banana and soft food. I let them play in the sand box and outside in a little enclosure in the afternoons under a shade tree and they are loving that too. That way they are getting a bit of grit. All seems to be going well. My hen is on about day 17 with her clutch too. I am going to have so many babies I won't know what to do. Keep us posted.

Marie

Yippee Lori!! Isn't it so amazing that just a few days in the right conditions can take a regualr egg and add life to it?!
I candled again last night and guess what?! I saw movement!! Yup! I wasn't sure if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me so I got my hubby in there to look. It was really slight, but it acually moved!!!
I can't wait till tonight to look again!!

Yeah, Donna Sue, it is incredibly amazing!!!

I feel like a little kid getting all excited over eggs hatching!!!

I'm really hoping that some of my Welsumer eggs are developing. They're too dark to candle and that is the breed I really, really want right now!!!

Oh well, whatever happens will happen. I'll enjoy them no matter what breeds they are.

Hey, Susan, I tried a different candler last night and was able to see what's inside my eggs much more clearly. I took one of those cheapy aluminum clip-on lights that you get from the hardware store. I put a 100 watt bulb in it. then I took a piece of cardboard big enough to cover the metal thingy that goes around the bulb (about 6 or 8 inches across) and cut a hole about 1" in diameter in the middle of it. I clipped the light so that it faced upward, set the cardboard on top, set an egg on it's side in the hole, and turned the light on. Wow!!! I could really see inside the egg - and these were brown eggs. Of course, I had to work very quickly because the light was very hot. The cardboard actually started smoking at one point! Then I started having my daughter take the cardboard off and blow on it after each egg while I was exchanging it for another egg.

We've been having some weird weather here, too. I'm glad we have a generator big enough to run our household!!!!!

Now I want to go home and candle some more, but I think I will refrain myself. I need to leave those little eggies alone!!!I think I can wait until Sunday???!!!!

Lori

Congrats to everyone on all of your babies: chickies, bunnies and human! I'm going to have to check for mine again.

Lori - I'm going to have to try your candler - I've just been using a little flashlight. Maybe if it's brighter, I'll be able to see a bit more. I know I've got one of those lights around here somewhere...

Have a great day everyone! I just keep marking them off on the calendar... the days are going by so slooowwwwwlllllyy.....

-- Susan

Hello All,

I too have just last night set eggs from Jaynie. I put in 16 silkies/sizzles. I'm excited to hatch these guys (I mean gals)
smile.png
cause I don't have any of these kinds of chickens. I have approximatley 35 hens-rhode island reds, black sex links, amerucana (sp?), cochins. I like a vareity
big_smile.png

Donna

Isn't Jaynie the nicest? She is so sweet. This is my second batch from her. The first batch, we had some problems with the buffs not being fertile and then with the eggs being shipped, I lost some, then I had my humidity too low or something and I only ended up with 3 out of the ones she sent me. So I got some more, I have candled and already have 5 that were not fertile. I opened them to see. But I have 11 left. 3 SF's and the rest are blue sizzle, black silkie, one cuckoo silkie. So I am praying I get the rest to hatch. Darn it. You will love Jaynie. She is very helpful too if you have a question. Good luck and keep us posted

Marie

Wow what a good idea for a candler Lori! What size bulb do you have in there? You might be able to use a smaller watt one and not have it get quite so hot.
Ours is really a weird one. Our kids have so many bigfoot type toy trucks and are always taking the wheels off (boys will be boys). Anyhow, my hubby got the idea to take one of the tires the kids had laying around and attatch it to one of his work flashlights, so we just set the egg on top and turn it on.
I have one dark brown egg that I was able to kind of see a spider like pattern in.
I can't wait till it gets dark out and I can peek at my itty bitty babies again!
big_smile.png

Donna Sue, you are as bad as I am.! I just want to keep peeking inside the eggs. . .

Susan, I was just using a flashlight, too, and I'm amazed at how much more you can see with the other setup I made! I think Donna Sue is right, though, I think I need to use a smaller bulb!!!!

Who is Jaynie and what kind of eggs does she have??? Like I need any more!!

Lori

do a search here for jimnjay and you should find lots of her posts listing what breeds she has. I know she has Silkies, black blue and buff, and sizzles, which are a combo of the silkie and a frizzled cochin, and she has Salmon Faverolles. Not sure what else off hand. She is very nice.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom