Anyone set eggs this weekend?

Sorry to hear about your chick - at least you were there to try to give it a chance. Post some pics of your OEGB babies - I'd love to see them!!

Sounds like you have some neat breeds in your incubator. Where do you get your eggs from?

I am only on day 12, but my eggs may hatch a little early because my temps have tended to run high. I really can't wait!!!

Lori

I have been getting them from a BYC member, Jaynie. She is a great person and I have learned so much from her and the others here. I don't have any pics yet of the three new ones but I will try to get some. Here are some of the two I hatched in the bator. They are hers too. You can see in the second photo the other chicks I hatched. One Salmon Faverolle and two silkies. (5 total) I am so excited too about new chicks. Like I don't have enough, huh?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Digital313.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P4190284.jpg

Marie

They are adorable!!!!

Several people have referred me to Jaynie - next time I hatch eggs I will talk to her.

My eggs (blue and splash Ameraucanas, Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans) came from a lady in Texas that put them on Eggbid. Hopefully at least a few of each survived the USPS!!!

Lori

Hi Everyone!

I candled this morning - we're on day 14, and while I'm not great at candling, there is so much uniformity amongst the eggs, I have to be optimistic! They all look alike!!!

I have 7 porcelain D'Uccles, 6 Rosecombs, 6 Silkies, and 15 Cuckoo Marans left in the incubator. I can't see through the CM eggs very well, so have just decided to leave them all... I'd hate to be wrong and take out a good one.

I know we're not supposed to count our eggs before they hatch, and that we've still got a week to go, and there can be humidity problems, and other problems (please, let the power stay on, and the thermostat not blow), but I'm excited enough to get my brooder ready!!!

Marie - Your chicks are darling... they make me anxious!

Have a great day everyone!

Susan, how exciting!!!

I'm going to get my brooder ready this weekend as well. My eggs are due to hatch next Sunday.

Did you see any movement when you candled? We saw quite a bit of movement this week.

I have several Cuckoo Marans in the bator also. Once they hatch, let's compare pics!!!!!

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. . . . . . .

Lori

Hi Lori,

I didn't see any movement, but I was looking really quick - I didn't want anyone to get chilled. I'm also really afraid of dropping them, so peek really quick and put them back.

I want to see a whole maternity ward of pictures! Do you know what color the parents of your eggs are? I think mine are mixed - black, copper black and the black and white pattern. It makes the wait exciting!

You've mentioned you're incubating Welsummers... I've got to look up pictures of those. It's a really pretty name, so I can't help but imagine colorful birds!

- Susan

Welsummers are gorgeous and they lay dark chocolate brown eggs. The roosters are breathtaking!!! If you do a Google image search, you can see some of them.

I don't know the colors of the parents of my Marans. If they are Cuckoo Marans, wouldn't the parents be Cuckoo as well?

My Ameraucanas that are in the bator are from a black rooster and blue and splash hens, so all the chicks should be blue or splash.

The rest of my eggs are from my own laying hens crossed with an Ameraucana roo. I have some Ameraucana hens, so they will be purebreds, but the rest of my hens are Buff Orps, Australorps, and Silver-Laced Wyandottes.

Should be an interesting hatch. I'm just praying that nothing happens between now and next weekend to kill the embryos. I feel like I've been sitting on those eggs myself!!!!!

Lori

Lori,

Shows what I know - I didn't know Cuckoo was a color... I thought it was part of the breed name! Is cuckoo that black and white pattern?

Now that I read it closely, the description on the ebay (I'm so bad about ebay-ing things... I just get so excited and bid all over the place) was for "black marans, copper black marans and cuckoo marans".

I looked up the Welsummers - they are beautiful. The roosters are so colorful - I wish they weren't so noisy (my hubby can't stand it).

I like Ameracaunas too - I've got some chicks ordered to be delivered about the same time this hatch is due, and included Ameracauna hens. I have a rumpless aracauna male, so ordered some female friends for him (he was my rare and exotic 26th chick from MM hatchery - I couldn't figure out how I ended up with the funny rooster w/o a tail until I saw a picture of one).

I was hedging my bet by ordering chicks to brooder with this hatching since my last hatch was so bad... now I'm kind of worried that this hatch will be great! But in an oh-my-gosh, I'd better build more coops sort of way :^)

-- Susan

We are On Day 16 and are down to 8 eggs which were fertile, Started with 18, but they had been stored for 3 weeks, and had a 2 hour car ride to get here. I haven't had to worry about temperature fluctuations because I have 2 wonderful girls doing ALL the work for me. 2 of my silkies are wonderful incubators. They just hatched out 2 silkies (1 blue, 1 splash) 2 days ago, as well as a mottled banty cochin. I am expecting 8 more eggs from my own flock any day as well. The splash hen kept stealing eggs from the other hens, so not really sure when the 8 are due. I do know that its any day though. The eggs due the 21st are black, blue, white, buff and partridge silkies and sizzles. You never know what will pop out! Good Luck to all.
newchicks004.jpg
Here is a picture of my splash hen sitting on her eggs. I haven't gotten any of the black hen. I usually incubate my eggs, but this is much less stressful letting them do the work!

Hey, Chasehope, are your slikies bantam? That picture is adorable!!!

Yes, Susan, cuckoo is that black and white color. I want to get some of the copper black ones too. They are beautiful!!!

I'm candling tonight - wish me luck!!!

Lori

Back
Top Bottom