Anyone setting eggs May 1st?

mollybuck

Songster
7 Years
May 14, 2013
WNY
My eggs arrived this morning! I will be setting them tonight...so looking forward to a hatch of May 20th!

My hatch last year was may 23rd, so some of mine could be parents before they are a year old!
fl.gif

I'm still gathering eggs for setting on My 5th (doing it at school where I work). Is that close enough? or do you think that will make me too anxious to "jump the gun" and keep up with you and I ought to start my own? I think I can handle it being behind a little bit. LOL

CG

celebrate.gif
i want all the company i can get!! hatching makes me so excited and nervous and no one around me understands...so I really just need someone who "gets it"!!!
frow.gif

Molly: This will be the first time I do this...so you may have someone more nervous than you on your hands. LOL.

What are you hatching? Chickens, Ducks? What breeds?

My husband is picking up 1 Wellsummer, 1 Buckeye, and 2 olive egger eggs from a breeder in southern MN...and then I've got 3 BLRW eggs coming from Kentucky...hopefully all in good shape for a determined little Silkie hen who's been gowly from a nest box in the corner of the coop.
love.gif
Adorableness in her Ornery State.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I love my silkies, but they havent gone broody yet...

I set 17 BLRW from my own girls (but I know one of my girls isnt liked by the roo.. so her eggs wont be fertile.. i just dont know which ones they are!!)
and i set 16 BLRW that I ordered
4 silkies
and 4 that are going to be a surprise. I have BLRW roosters and black astralrops and buff orps that could be the mom...

welcome! Last year was my first time. I set 31 and 16 hatched...10 that didnt were shipped and the others were from a neighbor.. but we lost power twice, and those times were when we had quitters.. I had 2 of my BLRW get to lock down, fully formed but the quit at 19 days... why?!

anyway! GOOD LUCK!!

I guess that makes three of us, unless someone else joins in. We'll be off a little bit from each other but hopefully close enough to still cheer each other on.

MollyBuck started today, May 1st Estimated hatch date Thursday May, 22nd - 25th
BogTown starting Sunday, May 4th Estimated hatch date Memorial Sunday, May 25th - 28th
CG starting Monday, May 5th Estimated hatch date Memorial Monday, May 26th - 29th

This is going to be my 5th incubating/hatching (not including the broody last year). I'm attempting to collect mostly Easter Eggers but I probably won't get enough, non-pullet, blue eggs and will fill up the incubator with brown eggs. The only roosters I have are EE so I'll get mixed Easter Eggers, and 'Pure" EEs (not that EE's are really pure but it's a better way of saying what they are than anything else)

I added another egg today. Or. More correctly I pulled one out and added. One of my girls laid this ginormous egg today!! I have had double rollers but this was way bigger... so candles.. it's only a double but since there is a lot of room in there I figured why the check not!?I'm mostly checking fertility of mine now anyways!

Anyone ever successfully hatch twins? :D

There's a Youtube video on assisting a twin hatch. This lady had success. But it did look trickier for the chicks. Might be interesting...! Maybe I should set those eggs on Monday. I may not have the BLRWs until then anyways. We're going camping over Memorial weekend too. Shoot. I didn't think about that. It's only about 18 miles away and I could do some running home to check on Dixie, too. The kids would probably like that any ways. I'm reluctant to wait any longer...but 1 day might be okay.

I started building Dixie a Broody Bungalow this evening. Just a place to be out of the action of the coop. She sure is cute. She growls and such but she makes no move to peck at me or bite. So funny and sweet. I picked her up and cleaned up her nest a bit...added some Mint cuttings from my garden to help repel pests, etc. Added straw and a basket that I will be able to pick out of the current nest box and transfer to the new Broody coop with new nest box when it's done and get her feeling okay about her new digs. I hope she transitions okay. She settled right into the new straw and basket well.

Back
Top Bottom