Anyone setting eggs tomorrow (13th March, EDD Apr 3rd)

loopy12

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
This is my first time!
I'm setting my eggs first thing tomorrow (saturday 13th March, so I think they'd be due April 3rd). And its with a hovabator.

I have been gathering eggs from various sources (by post, my own and local breeders) and am hoping I don't mess it up because there's a lot of eggs in there!!!

Possibly I should've started out with half a dozen random eggs, but, well, I got excited so will just have to keep fingers crossed.

I have:

7 cochins (maybe blue black or white)
3 Blue jersey giants
4 wyandottes (may be silver or blue laced red)
4 black copper marans
10 orpingtons (which may be blue,buff, splash or black)
2 white laced red cornish and
4 ameraucana/australorp mix

So EGGCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am hoping for at least 25% to survive my first try - ?

What is the absolute min and max for temperature? My two thermometers don't quite agree either.

Last edited:
Awww, thanks
cool.png

I can't set until next week waiting for the Delaware eggs to come so I'll be a week behind.
I doing Dells , Araucans, and wyondotts (blue laced) and I'm going to put one of my mutt eggs in just for fun
big_smile.png
It will be my first time in an incubator I did under a broody before

Last edited:
Yes, I used a broody last year too and loved it...will probably pop some eggs under my buff orpington again this year, but I was kind of eager to kick start spring (sick of the snow) so I begged my husband for an incubator this year...
If it goes well then I'd like to try some cayuga duck eggs next month.

How long will those goose eggs take to hatch?

Last edited:
I'm setting for the first time tomorrow or the next day with a borrowed LG still air
barnie.gif
I'm sooooo nervous! I'm just going to use my own "barnyard mix" for this first try and probably not put more then 18 or so in there since I'll be hand turning. It will be fun to have others to hatch with! Thermometer and hygrometer are all calibrated so as soon as I cut out some hardware cloth for a rack I should be good to go, temps and humidity have been stable for the last two days....
fl.gif

I have some that are due the 30th from the first batch which is 30 days I believe,I'll have to check my notes as to when I set them.

I've set 20 eggs this week, collected from my new frizzle rooster and turken hen along with some others frizzle x ee and I may have mixed in some turken Roo turken hen or ee hen not sure some eggs are 2 maybe 3 weeks not expecting high hatch rates got them in a hovabator fan turner setup watching humidity cos they are in aircon as we have 40 degree c heat here at the moment good luck everyone

I'll be putting them in tonight, which makes tomorrow day 1 for me, also hatching on April 2nd. Happy to be your buddy!

This will be my 3rd hatch in an LG w/ fan. My first hatch last fall was only so so. My last hatch last month went great with almost 80% hatch rate with more than half being shipped eggs. We hatched 10 out of 13 eggs and we were so thrilled, but then we had a most unfortunate incident with the brooder heat lamp going out on the first night. We lost 7 of the ones we hatched, 3 were still in the incubator. It was heartbreaking.

ANYWAY, as a result, I have gone WAY overboard this time!

I ordered 6 BLRW from Okiehen and she sent 7 plus 4 Blue Andalusion = 11 eggs
I ordered 12 bantam Lavender Cochins from James A and got 12 of those + 4 LF black cochin eggs = 16 eggs
I ordered 18 bantam cochin from LMEggs and was hoping for 6 partridge and 12 BBS, but the partridge weren't cooperating but I did get 2 + 16 BBS = 18 eggs
PLUS we have 7 of our own black bantam cochins = 7 eggs
TOTAL EGGS: 52!!!!!

Luckily most of them are bantams so I'm hoping they will fit. I will probably borrow a friends LG to use at lockdown to make a little more room in each.

Tamara

Back
Top Bottom