Anyone share guineas and chickens in same coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smorz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    I've got chickens (20) and guineas in the same coop but the guineas (14) are brutes. I need to change something so my chickens will have a more peaceful home place.

They both free range almost every day, but coming to roost is when it gets difficult. The guineas don't want anyone near them.

I'm thinking I will build a second coop for just the guineas. I'm trying to do it cost effectively, so I'm thinking they would share a wall of the coop and maybe share the run too. Anyone do that? To build a whole separate compound elsewhere isn't really feasible.

Any suggestions or input appreciated. Pictures even better.

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Any guinea I've ever dealt with wouldn't go in the coop they preferred to roost outside

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I have 2 guinea's in with my chickens so it's not so bad. You are going to have a really hard time breaking the guinea's from going into the coop they are in now and roosting in another coop. I've heard stories of people buying adult guinea's and they disappear trying to get back "home"

4. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Mal, I thought about that. I've heard that if I leave them cooped for about 6 weeks, they will call it "home." I guess worst case, I'd just swap sides and give the chickens the new home. Hmmm... Ponderous...

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I think you will have an easier time swapping the chickens rather than the guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by