Anyone take Dave Ramseys Financial Peace University Class??

lismarc

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Southern Maryland
My church is offering this class in a few weeks and I've heard some people like it and others not so much. I know I can trust my chicken 'peeps' for an honest answer. Is it worth the time and financial investment? Did it work for you? What else can you tell me about it??

Thanks

Hi! We're currently in the class and will finish up this Sunday. I'd say it depends on what you're looking for whether it will be worth it. We've read and listened to much of Dave's financial teachings, so much of it we're already doing. Even then, we felt it was worth it to take the class. Some of it was review, but we also learned what to do in the future. One nice benefit has been meeting people who want to do the same thing as us.
smile.png

If you aren't familiar with what he covers and not thrilled with how you're doing financially, then I'd definitely say take it!

Hi! We're currently in the class and will finish up this Sunday. I'd say it depends on what you're looking for whether it will be worth it. We've read and listened to much of Dave's financial teachings, so much of it we're already doing. Even then, we felt it was worth it to take the class. Some of it was review, but we also learned what to do in the future. One nice benefit has been meeting people who want to do the same thing as us.
smile.png

If you aren't familiar with what he covers and not thrilled with how you're doing financially, then I'd definitely say take it!

Thanks so much for responding. Ive only heard of Dave recently. Never tried any of his stuff. So..... I'm gonna go ahead and sign up on Sunday cuz im not thrilled at all with our finances.

Hi! I have wanted to take his classes but couldn't afford it! Lol.
This year another homeschooling mom bought the dad's and my two middle ones are doing it as part of their school. Both like it! I have read a little and like his thoughts and ways of making it manageable and ways to change or implement what is taught. I am planning on borrow in the dvds and watching them now. I can afford that! I would take the class if i could afford it or it was free/low cost. Hope that helps. :D

I say do not get involved. If I am correct this is someone who makes money giving others investment advice. It's like these people who write books on how to profit from your unique ideas. The only ones to profit are the authors, who sell millions of copies to desperate people. There is something vaguely sinister about involving the Church in this. What is the Church's cut I ask? The newspapers are full of independent investment advice don't waste your money. If I am incorrect about this fellows motives I unreservedly apologise to him.

Well, not sure if you are responding to my post or not. The cost of the class was $10 for the book. It was well worth it. Most offer it for free or nominal cost to cover their expenses (ie. electricity or the books) not to profit from it. We were just so tight I couldn't afford the class, sitters at home and the cost of gas. So please lay aside your suspicions. So many have changed their financial situations for the better. It may not be for you and it does have advice you could get possibly elsewhere. Having said that I have been to other finance classes but none of them worked for me. This approach makes sense to me.

Well, not sure if you are responding to my post or not. The cost of the class was $10 for the book. It was well worth it. Most offer it for free or nominal cost to cover their expenses (ie. electricity or the books) not to profit from it. We were just so tight I couldn't afford the class, sitters at home and the cost of gas. So please lay aside your suspicions. So many have changed their financial situations for the better. It may not be for you and it does have advice you could get possibly elsewhere. Having said that I have been to other finance classes but none of them worked for me. This approach makes sense to me.

I was told by an aquatance that Dave's classes are good, but pricey for the materials and the leaders guides and other misc. expences, for the church (or group) wanting to do classes. but there is an alternative that is also christian based and gets to the same goals but in a slightly different manner and is cheaper than Dave Ramsey's way (note I have not done either class or spoke to anyone else who has) but here is the info for the other version. http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/5047813461.html and here http://www.compass1.org/about/ so look into both, and see which one your church would prefer to do.

Is there not something slightly sinister about this sort of thing being associated with a church though? We read of these churches that make a lot of money I can only hope they are using it for the poor?

Is there not something slightly sinister about this sort of thing being associated with a church though? We read of these churches that make a lot of money I can only hope they are using it for the poor?
Newfoundland, are you familiar with this class? One of his main points is that by getting out of debt and managing our finances we can "live and give" like no one else. He often mentions how much good Christians could do in the world if they weren't in debt and not following Biblical principles with money. I'd encourage you to look into a bit more. It might help you feel more at ease.

I liked his books! I wouldn't pay for the class though, seems counterproductive.

Back
Top Bottom