Anyone take Dave Ramseys Financial Peace University Class??

lismarc

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Southern Maryland
My church is offering this class in a few weeks and I've heard some people like it and others not so much. I know I can trust my chicken 'peeps' for an honest answer. Is it worth the time and financial investment? Did it work for you? What else can you tell me about it??

Thanks

Is there not something slightly sinister about this sort of thing being associated with a church though? We read of these churches that make a lot of money I can only hope they are using it for the poor?
I think you need to know more of what you're talking about. You're being quite negative and making a lot of assumptions.

This is Dave Ramsey's ministry. I don't believe he really makes that much money off his classes. It's not a get rich quick scheme, in fact quite the opposite. He teaches how to manage your money like Great-Grandma would have....don't go into debt, save for a rainy day, etc. His biggest draw is teaching folks how to make a budget and how to get out of debt. Yes, he's a Christian and uses biblical principals for his classes. He's not affiliated with any particular church. Several churches offer this type of financial management classes. Where else are you going to learn to manage your money by biblical principals? Part of his program is to give 10% of your income. If you're Christian, give to your church. If you're not, then decide where you want to give to, but you need to give to someone. Not sinister or a big money maker for him.

Taking any class through a church has expenses. My honey and I are gearing up to lead a Love and Respect class through our church, and yes there will be a cost for participants. Will I be making any money? No. It's my ministry. Will my church be making any money? No. In fact, they'll actually be losing money for utilities we'll be using during the class.

Okay, rant over and off my soapbox....

This class was one of the best things my honey and I ever spent money on.

His baby steps are easy to follow. He's a natural speaker and injects a lot of humor into his program. Lots of real life things, too. He understands how important it is for a married couple to be on the same page.

The books are good, but the class brings in another level. You interact with others in the same boat, and there's a level of accountability. Yes, it costs money, but it's a proven thing that if you invest money in something, you're more likely to follow through on it.

We were a mess when we took this class. We had filed bankruptcy in the past, we were 20,000 in debt from credit cards, etc, we had car payments, life was so stressful. Then, I lost my job (sole provider) and life was horrible. We had no savings, nothing to fall back on. Life was an endless round of fending off creditors and never answering the phone.

So, after Financial Peace...debt paid off, emergency fund in the bank. No more car payments. Only monthly expenses were food, gas, utilities, mortgage, thing like that. Imagine how much money you'd have if you didn't have all that debt! We were sitting pretty, building up the bigger emergency fund...then I lost my job again. Wow, night and day! We had the money, less living expenses, so much less stress. Got another job, started re-building that emergency fund again...then I got leukemia. Ask yourself how your financial situation would be if tomorrow you were told you had to be hospitalized for 5 weeks 350 miles from home, and that was just for starters! yes, the emergency fund got wiped out, but that's what it was there for. We're now re-building yet again, but still debt free except the house.

Wow, probably tmi, but just making a point. Take the class. You'll never regret it!

So let me summarise. You are saying that this chap gives financial advice about living within one's means and advice on how to avoid/get out of debt. He uses the church then merely as a meeting point for his classes. He encourages his students to give a proportion of their income to their church. But he makes some money from his classes and the sale of his books. My point is that there is loads of free advice on how to do these things and as someone commented they could not afford his classes anyway.
You're getting closer.

He doesn't "use the church " as a meeting point. Individuals decide to facilitate a class, there's no involvement from him. The facilitator orders the materials and then recoups the materials fee from the participants. Since it's a faith based program, not surprisingly many folks who decide to facilitate a class are Christian. Since not many facilitators have a space in their home to host a dozen or more folks with access to A/V equipment, they coordinate with their church to utilize their space. Not sinister. Simply logistics.

Yes, he does make money from the sale of his materials. Wouldn't you make money from your business? I'm not sure why that's sinister.

newfoundland, I'm pretty sure everyone here understands you won't be taking this class any time soon, and that's fine.

For the OP, it's a great class. Yes, you can get some of the same info for free, but it's been available pretty much all your life. If you haven't been able to make a plan on your own and follow through with it, chances are you're not going to do it on your own. Breaking the steps down, watching the DVDs to stay on track and understand things better, having accountability to your fellow classmates....these are all things that make this program work.

My church has a lot of recovering addicts through a program called Celebrate and Recovery. My husband is included in that program. PRAISE JESUS. It's for anyone who has ANY issues in their life. They always have a HUGE spread of food, praise and worship. All is FREE. The Dave Ramseys class is also FREE. We are asked to buy our own material from Dave's site. It's about $100. If someone cant afford it, I'm certain the church would provide it. We aren't out to make money but to raise people up. If others can afford more, we will gladly give what we can to help others. In turn that helps the church members and our community. Never though about it being sinister. I just wanted to know if people have used the program and if It worked for them. My family makes what I consider pretty good money but, we still spend like we are in our 20's. Time to get down and dirty and save for retirement. Thought this class might help.

Someone keeps saying I couldn't afford the class. Well, that isn't totally accurate. So let me restate my situation more clearly: I could not afford the sitters, gas and time away with 5 small children and 3 of 5 were having health issues or are special needs. (Currently the workbook is only $10 on Amazon as "used".) The class at the time was free. I wanted to go because I need the accountability and group ideas on how to implement what was being discussed & how it worked for the different people.
My 2 middle ones are now taking it as a math class for school. Both have said it has really helped them! (And it is not offered at a church. So sometimes it is offered elsewhere for those who don't want to go there). Highly recommend checking out out before making assumptions. :)
Hope this clarifies this from my end. And, yes, I would still like to go! Don't want my guys to be smarter than their parent! :old

Hi! We're currently in the class and will finish up this Sunday. I'd say it depends on what you're looking for whether it will be worth it. We've read and listened to much of Dave's financial teachings, so much of it we're already doing. Even then, we felt it was worth it to take the class. Some of it was review, but we also learned what to do in the future. One nice benefit has been meeting people who want to do the same thing as us.
smile.png

If you aren't familiar with what he covers and not thrilled with how you're doing financially, then I'd definitely say take it!

Hi! We're currently in the class and will finish up this Sunday. I'd say it depends on what you're looking for whether it will be worth it. We've read and listened to much of Dave's financial teachings, so much of it we're already doing. Even then, we felt it was worth it to take the class. Some of it was review, but we also learned what to do in the future. One nice benefit has been meeting people who want to do the same thing as us.
smile.png

If you aren't familiar with what he covers and not thrilled with how you're doing financially, then I'd definitely say take it!

Thanks so much for responding. Ive only heard of Dave recently. Never tried any of his stuff. So..... I'm gonna go ahead and sign up on Sunday cuz im not thrilled at all with our finances.

Hi! I have wanted to take his classes but couldn't afford it! Lol.
This year another homeschooling mom bought the dad's and my two middle ones are doing it as part of their school. Both like it! I have read a little and like his thoughts and ways of making it manageable and ways to change or implement what is taught. I am planning on borrow in the dvds and watching them now. I can afford that! I would take the class if i could afford it or it was free/low cost. Hope that helps. :D

I say do not get involved. If I am correct this is someone who makes money giving others investment advice. It's like these people who write books on how to profit from your unique ideas. The only ones to profit are the authors, who sell millions of copies to desperate people. There is something vaguely sinister about involving the Church in this. What is the Church's cut I ask? The newspapers are full of independent investment advice don't waste your money. If I am incorrect about this fellows motives I unreservedly apologise to him.

Well, not sure if you are responding to my post or not. The cost of the class was $10 for the book. It was well worth it. Most offer it for free or nominal cost to cover their expenses (ie. electricity or the books) not to profit from it. We were just so tight I couldn't afford the class, sitters at home and the cost of gas. So please lay aside your suspicions. So many have changed their financial situations for the better. It may not be for you and it does have advice you could get possibly elsewhere. Having said that I have been to other finance classes but none of them worked for me. This approach makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom