Anyone tried mesh over grassed lawn to protect it from scratching?

You didn’t read my post as they aren’t confined to a run. I think you missed that they’re free ranging. The mesh would just be on the grass area to help protect it so they wouldn’t be walking on it 24/7. Were eventually going to be down to 5 chickens so it’s not like we have a huge number either.
The pics looks like a run to me,
but may be a small yard...or 'garden' as you'd call it there?

Some really good ideas in here, thanks! I’m planning to reseed and cover with netting and let it properly grow for a couple of months.

Grasses and clover mix sounds like a good idea, would this be more resistant?
Native grasses would be great. Prairie grasses have evolved to withstand close grazing but need some recovery time.

5 chickens should not graze to the dirt when provided with feed and alternative food sources. But compaction of the soil will be your enemy. The geomesh helps with that. Using netting or fencing will not reduce compaction.

clover is very good for them too: Contains vits A, B3, B12, C, E, K, calcium, magnesium, chromium, iron, manganese, potassium, selenium, and a trace of zinc :p

I think having grass and free ranging the chickens are at odds with each other. You're better off picking one or the other. If you want to have some grass, best to section off a part of the yard for the chickens, put a fence around it and keep them there. And you'll have the grass to yourself in the rest of the yard. If free ranging is more important to you though, then keep them loose but forget about grass. You could cover your entire yard/garden with wood chips like aart suggested, and that will just be the floor of your yard. Like those old playgrounds with the wood chips (not sure if you still have any around... I know Europe is ahead of the playground game and there are better materials now ;)). It's not a bad look. Nice and soft on the feet when you walk on it. It just won't be grass.

5 chickens should not graze to the dirt when provided with feed and alternative food sources.
Ehhh, not sure about that one, they are going to scratch even if they have full crops, for bugs and to dust bathe.

But compaction of the soil will be your enemy.
....and excess nitrogen and phosphorous.

Thanks guys. Although it’s not as if I’m confining them to one mesh area inside a run, they have other parts of the garden where they will be able to scratch?

I’ve seen you can also get special grass protection mesh which is a plastic mesh so that could be a better idea although it is more costly!
I say no to mesh....fahgetaboutit.
Metal will hurt their feet, even worse when it starts to degrade.
They will tear up plastic and may ingest it.

Do you want to alleviate the mud/muck, have pretty grass, or stuff for chickens to eat...or?
Almost, if not totally, impossible to keep grass, or any vegetation, growing in a chicken run.

I'd advise wood chippings for the run.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

You could use grazing frames if you want some green for the chooks to nibble on while they are confined.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/grazing-frames.73645/

@charliebobgordon Might help us to know...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2036781
Agree. Chickens will scratch. Mesh will rip, tangle legs, tangle beaks, be ingested...nope not good. You need to fence any areas you don’t want them scratching in. Whether you fence in the protected area or fence in the chickens to an allowed area, a run, it’s the only way to protect vegetation from chickens. Maybe you could temporarily fence off an area and change that area daily. Some people use chicken tractors for this. They won’t destroy everything at once and they will fertilize each area making better growth there.

Agree. Chickens will scratch. Mesh will rip, tangle legs, tangle beaks, be ingested...nope not good. You need to fence any areas you don’t want them scratching in. Whether you fence in the protected area or fence in the chickens to an allowed area, a run, it’s the only way to protect vegetation from chickens. Maybe you could temporarily fence off an area and change that area daily. Some people use chicken tractors for this. They won’t destroy everything at once and they will fertilize each area making better growth there.
The geo mesh is heavy plastic. It will not tear or rip. It is set so the top is installed or eventually becomes even with the surface of the soil so there is no risk of entanglement or ingestion. They can scratch all they want but they will not be able to destroy established root systems protected by this type of installation.

Did I miss the size of the yard? If so, i apologize but what are the outdoor space dimensions?
My free range birds scratch very little in the yard. They scratch in flowerbeds and piled leaves. Hence, giving them an enriched environment may help.
I love trying creative solutions instead of just the same ol thing. Ya never know for sure until you try it...

Ehhh, not sure about that one, they are going to scratch even if they have full crops, for bugs and to dust bathe.

....and excess nitrogen and phosphorous.
Search chicken run landscaping. There is a huge selection of design ideas and plants capable of surviving the onslaught of chicken craziness. The key is establishment. Dont just drop a plant in a hole and expect it to live or throw some seed down and release the birds at first sign of green up.
Im guessing seasonal overseeding may be expected to fortify grasses and clovers, i would keep the birds out of all planting beds for at least a year, but once established I see no reason why they have to turn a yard into a chicken run.

Hello all. We like to free range our 7 hens. People keep telling us to fence them in but we’re wanting to persevere and try and adapt the garden for the chooks!

Over these past few winter months the lawn has turned to almost mud.

Has anyone tried attaching hardware cloth mesh or grass protection mesh over their lawn to try and discourage the chickens scratching it? I know it’s their natural behaviour but there will be plenty of other areas for the flock to do this.

I’ve read about some success but was interested to know if anyone had more insight?

December:
View attachment 2036689

February:
View attachment 2036690

Thank you.
I’m doing just that! Grass sod with chicken wire on top of it. I have loss 50 some odd chickens due to coyotes, so no more 7 acre free roaming!! I want them to have grass so I compromised. Fenced in and grassy areas.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    966.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom