Anyone try those alfalfa/timothy cubes?

MsMelvin

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
I know they are intended for horses, however I'm seeking a "green" alternative for the grass they love so much. (Winter's in full swing here).

Romaine is a highly regarded treat they come running for but I can't give them a belly full daily ($).

What other options are out there?

I've not tired the cubes. I do buy the pellets of alfalfa. There's almost no way to describe how far they go!!! Just a handful in a container, cover with hot water and they will swell up 3 or 4 times in size. I "hide" this mixture in the layer mash. Blend them together well. I'm not sure it is their favorite food, but l do want them to ingest the greens and the high protein and nutrients of the alfalfa. The yolks take on a nice rich color as well.

Since everything is buried under a foot of snow, feeding the greens cannot hurt.

I've thought about it but haven't tried it yet. We still feed kale on a daily basis that we purchase in 3 lb bags at Walmart. We literally have no grass at all. A complete reseeding of our property is in order soon. Fun fun.

I use cubes as extra feed for my horses when we go camping. They are tasty and usually pressed with molasses. Not sure if molasses is ok for geese? Any chance you can get a bale from your local feed store? That may be better than the cubes and my geese love to eat my horses' hay.

I use cubes as extra feed for my horses when we go camping. They are tasty and usually pressed with molasses. Not sure if molasses is ok for geese? Any chance you can get a bale from your local feed store? That may be better than the cubes and my geese love to eat my horses' hay.

Are you talking about the small cubes they have for rabbits at TSC?

OMG.. I am soo glad I came across this.. I was thinking of asking this same question... After reading it, I went out and scooped the loose stuff from the hay wagon and also gave them some alfalfa cubes.. (I broke the cubes up into smaller pieces... Ive got a bowl soaking right now for later on tonight)... I have no idea why I never though of that before.. DUH... they eat grass.. hay is dried grasses.. Another DUH moment for me..

THANK YOU

Lydia, I don't really know anything about rabbit food. I am talking about horse cubes sold in 50 lb bags. Cubes are probably the size of a large lemon. To make it, they take hay, dehydrate it, chop it up finely, then press it with a little molasses.

Lydia, I don't really know anything about rabbit food. I am talking about horse cubes sold in 50 lb bags. Cubes are probably the size of a large lemon. To make it, they take hay, dehydrate it, chop it up finely, then press it with a little molasses.

Okay thank you, i don't know anything about rabbit food either but i did see alfalfa cubes for rabbits at TSC so now will look for cubes for horses at TSC, I know my feed store doesn't carry anything like this..

I would think all feed stores that carry horse grain would have cubes. They are super common to use for horses. A 50lb bag costs about $7.50 here.

I assume molasses is ok for geese??

Back
Top Bottom