Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

What do I do, if anything, for a chick that is tryin to hatch before its ready? Egg A made a hole in the membrane but since it apparently isn't ready it's making itself bleed...pretty bad too. It's inside the shell & even ran down the outside. It still whistles but it can't be ready to come out because it has a bunch of blood filled veins everywhere, anywhere it rips the membrane bleeds & bleeds...

some chicks are just determined to get out and then end up killing themselves... I have taken large band-aids before and patched up goose eggs for a few that were doing the same thing.. sometimes it works to slow them down and some times it doesn't..

if he's really determined regardless of what you do you can only hope for the best and have some electrolyte water handy to try to get some fluids in him as soon as you can...
they can lose a little blood and still be fine.. however I have also had a few goslings bleed to death because they tried to hatch out before they were ready.
I'm not really sure what triggers it.. though I do think that placing them in the dark (covering up windows on incubators) and keeping the noise level down might make a difference.. less stimulation to encourage them to hatch out so they end up resting some.. it's worth a shot anyway if he's still being persistent

Last edited:
Just got home and saw your post...what is going on now? How is he?

What do I do, if anything, for a chick that is tryin to hatch before its ready? Egg A made a hole in the membrane but since it apparently isn't ready it's making itself bleed...pretty bad too. It's inside the shell & even ran down the outside. It still whistles but it can't be ready to come out because it has a bunch of blood filled veins everywhere, anywhere it rips the membrane bleeds & bleeds...

Well it's actually not just trying & trying its hardest to get out, thank goodness, it just made a hole in the shell/membrane them started bleeding pretty good. I put a little blood stop powder on a couple bad spots & to see what's going on a broke some shell off but just a small part that wasn't attached to the membrane. I found out that it's beak didn't break the membrane (it's on the other side of the egg), I think it's foot/claw did it since its right there at the hole...either that or the chick kept "expanding" trying to break free & ripped it. It's still breathing good & whistling, so far it's ok just resting. I think it should live as long as it absorbs any yoke it might have & stays put until the blood vessels dry up, do you think once it's ready it might make another hole with its beak on the other side of the egg where it's head is? I think the torn membrane & crack in the shell was likely an accident since its not where the chick's head is...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this little guy!

That's exciting Polli! You don't even know how happy I am for you! I felt so bad that you were having the absolute worst luck ever, I know you tried your hardest to hatch some. I'm glad you got the 2 older chicks but I'm even more excited over your 2 wigglers, you'll be so much closer to the ones you hatched yourself & it'll be so gratifying to know that they hatched because of all the TLC that they received from you...yay Polli! Oh & I love the names! I used to have a hunting beagle (my 2nd ever self made champion) that I named GRHBCH CH Sheets' Whiskey in the Jar (Metallica fan lol) then her sister (my 3rd ever champion) was HBCH GRCH Sheets' Tila Tequila on the Rocks.

That's exciting Polli! You don't even know how happy I am for you! I felt so bad that you were having the absolute worst luck ever, I know you tried your hardest to hatch some. I'm glad you got the 2 older chicks but I'm even more excited over your 2 wigglers, you'll be so much closer to the ones you hatched yourself & it'll be so gratifying to know that they hatched because of all the TLC that they received from you...yay Polli! Oh & I love the names! I used to have a hunting beagle (my 2nd ever self made champion) that I named GRHBCH CH Sheets' Whiskey in the Jar (Metallica fan lol) then her sister (my 3rd ever champion) was HBCH GRCH Sheets' Tila Tequila on the Rocks.

LOL Im a Metallica fan 2 .... I will post later pics of them, I will do a dna test to be shure they are pair. Still wiggling, one more than the other, lets see!!!, I opened the other eggs, they where 3 scrambled, 2 died early and 1 infertile. I just set yesterday the new 6 eggs in my sportsman... lets see!!!

Here we have my wigglerssss!!! day 41 yes!!! omg and now what gosh !!! im nervous !!!!now I have to look closer and
pop.gif
closer til BORN,,,,
weheeee!
celebrate.gif
when almost all hope was gone, they apper wiggling... and they do wiggle hard uf.... well now all my incognities about a baby emu came back again...broother, lights woa this is magnificentlywikily great feeling!!! Hatching a baby emu wejiiii

Finally!!!! Congrats!!!!!1

Here we have my wigglerssss!!! day 41 yes!!! omg and now what gosh !!! im nervous !!!!now I have to look closer and
pop.gif
closer til BORN,,,,
weheeee!
celebrate.gif
when almost all hope was gone, they apper wiggling... and they do wiggle hard uf.... well now all my incognities about a baby emu came back again...broother, lights woa this is magnificentlywikily great feeling!!! Hatching a baby emu wejiiii

pop.gif
closer til BORN,,,,
weheeee!
celebrate.gif

I'm so happy for you!

Back
Top Bottom