Anyone up to set their eggs on Valentine's day with me?

I want to join. I should have some room in my bator by then and want to try hatching my own eggs this time. I started my first hatch in October and have a had a full bator since. I just bought more eggs yesterday-- must not go the auction page again for at least a month-- I not sure how i'm going to fit them in, but where there is a will there is a way. I made a hatcher out of a Omaha steak cooler I found free on craigslist and can do stagger hatches now. My bator is homemade too and been through some redesigns along the way. Have BLRW and Blue marans in the bator now and will be adding Frizzle and BBS cochin on Friday. I'm going tt save space and start by BLRW eggs on Valentine's day with you.

Quote:
Welcome! ok you are crafty with the steak coolers- i really need to start looking at a homemade job ffor next time - gonna stick with what i have for this one ....
How long do you guys let your eggs rest before you set them in incubator? Or do you even ?

I let my shipped eggs rest over night. minium 8 hours sometimes up to 24 if I am trying to time when they might start hatching. I not sure about my own eggs. I would think you could bring them in and set them as they should not have been bounced around. i know that you can hold them until you have all the eggs you are planning on setting and turn them at least three times a day. Can anyone conform if I'm right?

That all sounds right from what i've heard, but i've only done local eggs not shipped. The local eggs I've set just go straight in the bator
big_smile.png

I only set local eggs too or at least I don't get them shipped anymore, even as tempting as it is. I know there are a lot of good people here on BYC which I have met, but I have had too many bad experiences with some shipped eggs in the past. I buy them and they are crushed from being poorly packaged, or not fertile, or just not what was advertised, and I can not afford to loose money on the shipping if they are not what I paid for. So now I buy them personnal at swaps or at the local auction and have never had a problem.

Oh, and I built my bator from ideas on BYC. The cooler I got from a freecycle person. I know I made some mistakes too but I have had very great hatches with it.

20124_sany0595.jpg

Sorry it's blurry. The sticker reads: WARNING - Tampering with my eggs will result in a a$$ whoop'n you'll never forget!
20124_sany0597.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok the warning is priceless - might be a good idea -
Well i wanted to do the local egg thing - but sadly i cannot find anyone close to me with quality eggs in Seramas -

I was lucky enough to find someone at the time when I had Seramas. I think her BYC name was 4kidz. You might look her up. She's here in FL but she has what she says. It's been a while but if I remember correctly all but one hatched. She also gave me a couple of frizzle cochin eggs which did very well in show too. My boys were in 4H.
20124_sany0512.jpg

20124_sany0537.jpg

Awwww how cool - well i am set with where my eggs are coming from - they are just not local! Good lines - hatchability al lthat - but we will see. I just hope they get here in piece!
How many eggs is everybody setting this time?

I don't have any yet
idunno.gif
. I waiting for the auction on the 11th and a swap on the 12th. I'm picking up some EE eggs at the swap and we'll see what they have at the auction. That's my exciting Friday night out - going to the auction. I think somethings wrong with me.

It's going to be a grab bag for me. My stepmom gets her eating eggs from a lady nearby. She gave me a dozen for the dogs last time i saw her.....low and behold, all of them were fertile!!
big_smile.png
and a bargain at $1.50/dozen

They looked like EE's, Marans or Wellies, Leghorns or Lakenvelders.....

I'll try to find out what kind of roos they have.

I only have room to incubate 24 maybe 28-30 if I really pack'em in.

Back
Top Bottom