Anyone use a small electric snowblower in their run?

The thing about the battery power is the short run time.
That bigger one says 15 mins, the smaller I think was 20.
I also would question the torque needed for heavier/wetter snow.

The thing about the battery power is the short run time.
That bigger one says 15 mins, the smaller I think was 20.
I also would question the torque needed for heavier/wetter snow.

I read 50 minutes.....I will read it again.
They both have corded capabilities built in. Not ideal to use a cord but better to have that option than not. If the battery dies the tool is not fully out of commission at least.

Pull cords on gas motors are a big pain in my already bad shoulder. Electric also takes gas, the choke, oil etc out of the equation. All a good thing for me and my easily frustrated at such self.

I can see benefits and drawbacks of both gas and electric.

I read 50 minutes
I heard 50, but saw this:
1581002881239.png

Got new string trimmer last summer, battery lasts about 20-30 minutes,
by then my hands and body hurt so good timing for a break. :lol:

I heard 50, but saw this:
View attachment 2019632

Got new string trimmer last summer, battery lasts about 20-30 minutes,
by then my hands and body hurt so good timing for a break. :lol:

Maybe the CC folks got it wrong. :confused:

They have a corded only no battery option for under $100. I may give that one a try.
I have a Ryobi battery power weed trimmer. It goes about 30-40 minutes per charge. It has a cord option built in too. For me that is good. I can get into my flower beds easily. It is certainly NOT powerful or rather the string it takes is thin. I have my corded heavier duty 20 year old for heavier stuff.
I dislike the weight of the gas ones and the stinking pull cords that kill my shoulder.
Last fall I bought a corded leaf blower. It works well enough for my needs. Mostly leaves on top of the chicken run.....

I used to sell snow blowers and the run down is:
1. Single stage snow blowers are light duty electric, battery, or gas machines rated for up to 6". 6" of powder. Heavy wet snow will be more difficult and the depth it can handle reduces. Most importantly they are meant for hard surfaces only like concrete or asphalt. This is due to many components being plastic or not strong enough to handle the stress of uneven surfaces like gravel or picking up loose debris that can cause damage.
2. 2 stage blowers are almost always gas and offer more power and the ability to move more snow per hour and throw it farther. They can be used on any surface including gravel and are made of stamped or welded steel with more robust components. Quality depends on manufacturer and price point.
3. 3 stage blowers have and extra auger that channels and moves snow even more efficiently. These can move deep snows and are meant for large open areas.

So in short, the surface of your run is the main consideration. Using a single stage blower on gravel, mulch or other soft surface will result in clogging, damage, or ultimate failure in the machine. This can occur on the first use or after repeated use, but odds are very high for issues.

I used to sell snow blowers and the run down is:
1. Single stage snow blowers are light duty electric, battery, or gas machines rated for up to 6". 6" of powder. Heavy wet snow will be more difficult and the depth it can handle reduces. Most importantly they are meant for hard surfaces only like concrete or asphalt. This is due to many components being plastic or not strong enough to handle the stress of uneven surfaces like gravel or picking up loose debris that can cause damage.
2. 2 stage blowers are almost always gas and offer more power and the ability to move more snow per hour and throw it farther. They can be used on any surface including gravel and are made of stamped or welded steel with more robust components. Quality depends on manufacturer and price point.
3. 3 stage blowers have and extra auger that channels and moves snow even more efficiently. These can move deep snows and are meant for large open areas.

So in short, the surface of your run is the main consideration. Using a single stage blower on gravel, mulch or other soft surface will result in clogging, damage, or ultimate failure in the machine. This can occur on the first use or after repeated use, but odds are very high for issues.

Good to know.
So for me it is a maybe once I get the pavers down in the dog area but a no in the chicken run. I could still use it out front on the drive and sidewalks too.....

Good to know.
So for me it is a maybe once I get the pavers down in the dog area but a no in the chicken run. I could still use it out front on the drive and sidewalks too.....
Yep exactly. Sidewalk, paved driveways, pavers, wood decks, all suitable surfaces for a single stage blower.
But it is your machine. If you want to try it on your run its your choice. Just keep in mind thats not its intended or recommended use and you are taking a risk.

My single stage, in post #6, will chuck gravel all day :gig
It's a beast with frozen plow wash and most snow conditions(with good operator 'technique')
but wet snow can clog the chute fast...then I sometimes switch to 'plow' mode and just push the stuff.

My single stage, in post #6, will chuck gravel all day :gig
It's a beast with frozen plow wash and most snow conditions(with good operator 'technique')
but wet snow can clog the chute fast...then I sometimes switch to 'plow' mode and just push the stuff.
I read 50 minutes.....I will read it again.
They both have corded capabilities built in. Not ideal to use a cord but better to have that option than not. If the battery dies the tool is not fully out of commission at least.

Pull cords on gas motors are a big pain in my already bad shoulder. Electric also takes gas, the choke, oil etc out of the equation. All a good thing for me and my easily frustrated at such self.

I can see benefits and drawbacks of both gas and electric.
56v batteries are expected to have power similar to gas and a runtime similar to a tank of fuel. This is highly dependent upon the resistance of the weeds, grass or brush it is cutting.
20v or 18v are considered light duty for trimming grass around house that the mower cant reach.
Key to fuel powered small engines is to not use ethanol gas (from the pump) without stabilizers and proper storage. The ethanol breaks down causeing issues in fuel filters and carburetors and is 9x out of 10 the cause for hard starts. Use ethanol free fuel for best results or stabilizer in every tank and you will see an improvement in performance and starting.

Back
Top Bottom