Anyone use a UPS as a backup power source for an electric fence charger?

A UPS is a battery, a charger and a power supply. It plugs into the electrical source and maintains the battery via the charger. They are quite common, come in many sizes and often used by consumers to protect their PC against sudden power outages. Obviously have many uses beyond that.

A UPS is a battery, a charger and a power supply. It plugs into the electrical source and maintains the battery via the charger. They are quite common, come in many sizes and often used by consumers to protect their PC against sudden power outages. Obviously have many uses beyond that.
Thank you again! :)

You have a solution in search of a problem.

Once an e-fence is up and running, and is tested by birds and varmints alike.....generally once.....the deterrent factor becomes so great animals respect it's location to the point it can be down for several days before any of them know. So you would be devising a plan on the off chance that a varmint would need to be shocked during the short interval of a power outage.

And your solution would only apply to an AC charger. A battery powered charger doesn't depend on AC power, so doesn't go down. If really concerned or have chronic power outages, go the DC route to begin with.

I have been around cattle and electric fences since I fell off the turnip truck. Cattle will test a fence for power with their nose. At about six inches distance they appear to know whether the power is on without being shocked. If it's off they reach through to eat. I would imagine predators have the same ability if they are around electric fences.

Back
Top Bottom