Anyone use AVG antivirus? Having trouble!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rizq, Feb 7, 2009.

1. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have been having problems with AVG since they updated to whatever this new version is (8.0.23 or whatever the heck). I read on their forum that it was a common issue and figured I would wait it out and that they would fix it in the next update (my biggest problem was that the e-mail scanner was not working, I told AVG to ignore it and all seemed well).

Well, now they have sent the next update and IT IS WORSE! It has been telling me for almost a week that the update requires a restart ... even though it has been restarted several times. All the sections show to be out of date and manually updating does nothing except cause AVG to request a computer restart. I have also been having some other issues with my computer the last few days and I think AVG is at the root of it.

So, I decided to try uninstall/reinstall. IT WILL NOT UNINSTALL! I get an error message and uninstall failed. I am at my wits end. I have work to do, and jobs to apply for, and I am ready to chuck my computer out the window! (even though it is not the computer's fault)

Is anyone else having problems with AVG? Have you been able to fix it?

I also tried to uninstall in safe mode, still a "no go." In fact, it just now told me that the update requires a restart even though it has just been restarted 3 or 4 times!

The last thing I tried was following the recommendations on the AVG forum of redownloading AVG and running the uninstall. I waited an hour for it to download, it said it was done but it disappeared. The file is NOT on my computer [​IMG] I am about over it. I REALLY do not want to reset my computer to factory setting and start over with EVERYTHING.

PLEASE HELP ME! (if you can [​IMG] )

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have avg pro ,, so no problems here,,, to uninstall, go to program files, find it there,, mines under "ESET" file,, and delete the file, that should get rid of most of it [​IMG]

3. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I considered that, but the last time I deleted a file that way it ate my computer and I had to reformat [​IMG] so I am now scared of deleting things that way [​IMG] If it comes down to having to reformat anyway, I will try that first.

I have AVG free rather than pro. It has always worked great for me ... until now, lol.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Norton 360 is the way to go. Go to www.symantec.com to order. It will give you protection that really works.

Walmart also has it.

I had nothing but problems with AVG! [​IMG]

bigzio

5. I have the AVG free version and have not had any trouble P/C was running a little slow so i defraged and works great now. they should have a contact us on the website contact them and complain. squeakily wheels usually work if you act sugar sweet to the tect. marrie

6. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I finally got it off my computer. Hateful thing.

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we have that nasty thing on the work computers. not a week goes by that someone isnt swearing at the thing. <Mine usually comes up with the "cant connect for update" flag. I used to give a rats behind, but since it isnt my computer and the boss will just buy a new one.. I let it be "unprotected"

Of course I think my main issues are because the boss and his son use the computer and download stuff they really should not be. I just know one of these days I am going to turn the monitor on and find really disgusting stuff on there. Heck. The son was using the company camera the other day. Nothing like downloading pics and finding "strange" photos on the camera.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by