Anyone use Counter top for floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4theloveofhens, Jun 19, 2010.

1. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    I picked up some brand spanking new countertop from a garage sale. I don't know exactly what it's called. Anyway, wondering if this wood make a good floor for a chicken coop. I got about 5 x 5 feet for it for fifty cents, so even if its not, it's not a huge dent in my wallet!

Its like the stuff you'd glue onto your wood as your counter. Does this make any sense?

It's been a long day...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Laminate countertop? Should work! Great find by the way. Just tack it down good so mites and other bugs can't hide underneath it.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    If you mean laminate, great!!!

4. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have old kitchen cabinets with laminate countertops in one part of my basement. When I have to isolate a chicken, that is where I usually put them and they will roost on the cabinets. It is very easy to clean up after them.

5. thefamilyflock

thefamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    East Granby CT
    I just bought some to cover my poop boards in order to make clean up easy! I paid $5. for a 2'x4' sheet. You did Very well [​IMG]!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hm, I don't know what your countertop is made of, but the countertops I've seen seem to use an OSB type material as their main structural component, with a thin laminate over it. While OSB will last "sorta" outdoors if painted and kept dry, I would really really not use it for a FLOOR, which is bound to have lingering dampness. Although I suppose if this is a very small reach-in coop raised a coupla feet above the ground, you could *try* it.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Great idea using the laminate. I've been thinking of coop floor covering options since I'm building my coop now.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The main issue I have with Laminate as a floor is it may be too slick and you will run the risk of splay leg injuries, now as a droppings board it would be great and easy to clean.

AL

9. tylermckee

tylermckee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Should work good, if you've never laid laminate before all you do is coat the floor and the laminate with contact cement, then wait for both sides to dry. then carefully lay it on the floor, once it touches it is stuck for good, there is mo slipping it around once it's set. I usually lay some thin wood scraps out so i can position the laminate directly ontop, then start on one side pulling out the scraps and pressing the lamiate into place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by