Anyone use homemade dropping pans?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RAREROO, Dec 13, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do any of you have homemade dropping pans? I will be needing some for stacked cages and I'd like to know what you all think is the best and cheapest way to make them. They would need to be light and easy to clean. Thanks

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I use linoleum over 1/2" OSB. These are 24' wide poop planks installed under the center of my roosts. I scrape daily in AM. You might try a place which has scrap metal. If they can be small, then sheets of galvanized steel scrap could do fine. Just round off the corners so as not to be cut when handling them. A putty knife will suffice for cleaning/scraping. I am going to change over to that next year.

3. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Got a buddy that works in heating and air, and they use galvinized drain pans on some units. I am going to use a few used ones in the spring. That said the heating and air shop could bend one of any size out of sheet metal, but it might be pricey.

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Plastic cafeteria trays work well.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I use copper pans that were originally for keeping potted plants inside they sit under the roost and I empty them every few days.

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I've heard of a few people who buy the rubbermaid plastic lids from Lowes for storage bins and slide them under. I am actually considering that tbh!

7. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    I use cookie sheets.

8. Cluckhead

Cluckhead Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I had a local sheetmetal shop make me one.

[​IMG]

9. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    Quote:Thats slick!!!
    My father has a metal break for trim peaces but i could make something that large on it without much issue.

10. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    We use oil drip pans that I bought from Wally World.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by