Anyone use lights to get their BW's to lay in winter?

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
I was considering using some lights to get my bobwhites to lay this winter, but have never done it before. Just curious if anyone does this and how is the success with fertility? What are the cons, and any tips on how to go about this would be helpful. Thanks

I have found, with my Bobwhites, it does not take a ton more light to get them to lay in the winter. However the laying and fertility is not consistent unless you also had heat. 14+ hours of total daylight and temps above 50 at night, 60+ during the day.

The disadvantages are that you will have to maintain this heat all throughout winter and if you live in an area of cold winters, should you lose power at some point, these birds will not have acclimated to the cold and you may lose birds. So make sure to have back up heat available.

I like to give my birds a break from laying during the winter and allow the laying to stop for better over all health.

Last edited:
That sounds good, thanks for the reply. The birds I was considering, just hatched this year in May. I was possibly thinking about bringing a pair or trio inside, and see if I could get them to lay for a month or so, to have some additional birds to pair up with the ones I want to sell in the Spring. I also was about to get a coturnix pair for meat purposes, and wanted them to lay this winter as well.

Back
Top Bottom